Thread: sore mouth/tongue/mouth ulcers

sore mouth/tongue/mouth ulcers

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can reassure me. For a few days now, I've had an ulcer at the back of my mouth, and now at the top of my mouth behind my back upper teeth (on both sides) it's really sore and when I open wide it hurts and feels like they're splitting. Also, the very back of my mouth/throat hurts, again when I open wide. And now the very back of my tongue hurts too.
    Obviously, suffering with health anxiety, I'm scared that it's mouth cancer. There's no bleeding or anything but I am really working myself up.
    I just don't know what else it could be, an infection maybe? I've bought some antiseptic mouth wash and am hoping this will clear it up.
    Thanks for listening xxx

Re: sore mouth/tongue/mouth ulcers

How's the ulcer today? It's rare that I spend much time without a mouth ulcer, so I know how painful they can be! Have always had them, ever since I was pre-teen, I think (I'm almost 26 now).

I actually had one at the top of my mouth right behind my teeth recently too, and until I found it, I was convinced it was my throat pain reappearing (which I believed was throat cancer)—I find it's difficult to tell exactly where the pain is coming from when it's in that area, and I suppose with it all being linked, you move one part of your mouth and the rest moves too.

Just to clarify, do you only have the one ulcer, or a few? Either way, I don't think it's an immediate cause for worry if it has/they have only been there a few days. Lots of things can cause them—for me it's salt, orange juice, pineapple juice, pickled onion Monster Munch(!) amongst other things, and sometimes they can take a week or two to disappear completely.

They normally 'flare up' about 2 or 3 days after I first notice them, then are very painful for a couple of days, then slowly start to go.

I know how it feels to jump to the worst conclusion, but as you say, it could be an infection, or it could be lots of different things. I'm pretty sure mine are in response to physical irritation (salt, acidic foods etc.), so there are lots of things that can cause them with the vast majority being temporary.

Have you had them before?

From what you describe I'd say although this is not pleasant you have nothing to worry about with regards to anything serious. A visit to the doctor might put your mind at rest - I had to go once for a particularly bad outbreak - they suggested I rinse out with a mouthwash called Corsodyl (not Corsodyl daily which is a weaker one) and that was really effective.

I agree... Corsodyl is meant to be good at sorting them out.

Thread Information