Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding media & family/friends talking about medical issues

Avoiding media & family/friends talking about medical issues

I'm just wondering how many of us try and avoid all mention of anything medical, whether it be on TV, radio, internet, family or friends etc. I suppose it's the opposite of what I tend to do when I believe something's wrong with me (when I then google everything I can).

When I was a kid (I'm almost 26 now), my favourite show was Casualty, and I wanted to be a paramedic when I was older. I ended up in science & did a master's degree in chemistry, and until recently I found it fascinating to watch programmes on TV about all things medical/science.

However, since I've noticed I've been suffering from health anxiety over the last few months, I've also noticed that I've been avoiding anything medical. I think part of it is a conscious decision, and part is done subconsciously. I no longer want to read news articles online about health (especially those type of ones that list foods that cause cancer, for example), or watch documentaries about new treatments. I've even found myself somewhat shutting off when I hear my family talk about one of their friends who's currently ill, and I found it difficult, even, to watch Doctors the other day. I suppose I'm terrified it might spark some more anxiety for me?

A few weeks ago I was watching The Secret Millionaire and someone mentioned how their relative suffered a brain hemorrhage in their 30's. It was probably talked about for 2 minutes, at most, on the show, but I was worried (for at least the next 24 hours) that the same thing would happen to me. I never used to be like that.

I suppose it makes sense that we want to avoid triggers to our anxiety, but I also miss the enjoyment & interest I got from learning from the documentaries etc. I'm hoping to find counselling for my recent anxiety, fear & paranoia anyway. Do you think this anxiety/general avoidance is something that counselling might help?

Re: Avoiding media & family/friends talking about medical issues

I can relate to this, I have stopped watching all medical programmes or reading articles.

Me too.

I had to avoid the embarassing illness fat last night Ias I thought my wife was developing diabetes.

Why I dont know?

I turned over and avoided it.

Mee

That's one of the shows I've been avoiding too, though I know I'd find it interesting if I knew I could guarantee I'd be able to control my anxiety.

I definitely do this. I too used to love watching casualty and fly-on-the-wall medical documentaries, and if I heard about someone being ill or dying of something I didn't obsess about it, but dor the past 6 years of having HA I can't watch anything like that and if I hear of someone my age or younger dying or seriously ill it freaks me out. I tend to notice all the adverts/posters/etc about preventing heart attacks and stuff too :(

I hate medical field, i never talk about it and i never take medicine when i suffered from any illness. This is first time i am discussing about medical issues with you.

I cant listen to or watch anything that involves the big 'C'...I'll do anything to avoid it.

My Doctor said there was nothing wrong with me... but when I checked on the internet I found out that I'd been clinically dead for months!

Depends what it is for me. I used to watch hospital dramas, but in the end I found that they were often written in a very depressing way and I stopped enjoying them.

I've worked in a hospital for more than 20 years now, although ironically I don't like them. However, I've not worked at the "sharp end" with patients, and have worked in technical/admin jobs, which makes a difference. I don't like having to go on the ward though, as it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I agree with what you say about them being written in a depressing way. I've had to avoid most programmes like that over the last couple of years as I've been mostly working from home & haven't had many friends in the area I'm temporarily (though it's been 2 years now) living in. I think it's easy to forget that drama (and even factual) programmes aren't representative of the world outside the front door.

blueangel, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you suffered from health anxiety? Is it something you've developed during your time working at a hospital, or was it before that?

I've had HA for a lot of my life, although some times it's been a lot worse than others. I developed it as a child as my father had MS and it was never really explained to me - I was just aware of him getting weaker. Also, it was thought to be hereditary at the time, so I was hauled off to the doctor a lot, which I'm sure didn't help.

Ironically, working in a hospital actually improved a lot of my HA, as I've learnt a lot of useful information that has made me realise that a lot of illnesses are actually very rare (so your chance of getting them is low), and also that a lot of things are curable, or can be kept under control.

However, that hasn't "cured" my HA as I still get bouts of it. I had a particularly bad one at the end of last year when my IBS got much worse. I'm lucky though that at the moment I've got a brilliant GP who is very good with anxiety/mental health issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information