Thread: Alcohol and prozac

Alcohol and prozac

Hi, Im twenty years old and have been recently diagnosed with pure O and anxiety its made me feel really depressed but once im on the prozac i feel better, only when i go out socially i drink because i always feel too shy and nervous , i think that drinking will help me loosen up. I'm so conscious of what people think of me its unreal. if somebody doesn't like me, it takes a hard effect on the way i feel about myself, especially if i like or admire this person. i feel like i'm useless so i drink and become embarrassed & ashamed, i hate that i have had no control over my self and it makes me think people think i'm pathetic . i feel as though i don't know how to be myself and sometimes when i drink too much i feel incredibly depressed . has anybody felt like this before and if so, is there any advice you could recommend, i'm ruining my life by thinking like this.

Re: Alcohol and prozac

Hi Lily19, To be honest it sounds absolutely normal to feel that way...self concious and not knowing 'how to be'. Having a drink to loosen up also sounds 'normal'. And feeling terrible after the event....gosh I don't know anyone who doesn't. I don't know your age, but it all sounds like a normal 'growing up'. Mmmm advise...maybe try not to drink too much and maybe when you're with people ask questions about them. Maybe they feel the same way. Hey, one thing for definite, there is no need to feel ashamed! Take care x

Sounds normal to me too. I grew up being very shy / anxious and gradually "self medicated" with more and more alcohol. Alcohol is actually a depressant though so you will feel more anxious, more low and more nervouse for the following day or two after drinking.

Reads like my life story. unfortunatley, alcohol is not a great way to deal with things. i used alcohol to help overcome my anxiety/agoraphobia. I could do anything i wanted to do. but it rapidly became a major problem. resulting in a week drying out in a clinic. I still drink occasionally, but the depression the following few days is very severe. I only drink socially now, and very rarely. it untimatley makes things worse

Hello hun, I am on Prozac as I didnt find Citroplam any good for me. I had a drink the other day with my friend and thats the first time in ages. I found it was fab for me. I enjoyed my time and the drink. Only issue is that I am scared of putting on weight as I had a drink and the sugar in the drink etc. But overall I do like a drink for confidence etc but I try and tell myself I shouldnt drink and tell every1 else but yes i do crave a drink

Hi lily,

I'm on Prozac as well...& I used to binge drink when I went out because it makes me feel nervous so I completely understand where you're coming from. I don't however drink in the house all the time as this can lead to a slippery slope.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few drinks to put you at ease but you have to be careful as there's a fine line (I can talk..I just admitted to binging!) Like fiendlybrunette said, I too try & stop myself/tell myself I don't need to. Plus, I find my anxiety is 100 times worse the next day.

Emily xxx

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Thread Information