Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming off diazepam

Coming off diazepam

Hey everyone

Just looking for some advice really, I've been taking diazepam for 10 years now and have recently started citalopram as the doc wants me off Diaz and they no longer work the way they used to.

I take 13mg per day and he wants to cut me by 2mg per week, have any of you experianced coming off Diaz like this? And what can I expect? I've only been on the cit for 14 days so it's still early days on it for me

Vicki

Re: Coming off diazepam

Hi Vicki

I believe Professor Ashton is one of the world's leading authorities on benzo withdrawal, and has a very detailed website with titration (reduction schedules) along with very good advice on all aspects of reducing:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm

The thing is, neither my GP or psychiatrist (who put me on the stuff!) had even heard of her So, I had to 'educate' them and insist this was the schedule I was going to follow.

With you, you've been on it for so very long, what's the point of rushing it and finding it more difficult than you need to? None at all I'd suggest, you'll be far more likely to do well and come off it comfortably going slowly and at your own pace!

The other thing is that cit is in no way a direct substitute, and it takes some weeks to kick in, sometimes quite a few. People vary I believe in how much it helps their anxiety. Hopefully for you it will, but I'd be cautious about dropping too much diazepam too quickly before finding out. For me it actually raised anxiety before it reduced it (I eventually had to give it up due to other side effects anyway).

After a quick glance at the page, Ashton seems to recommend dropping by 1mg diazepam every 1-2 weeks (as you feel comfortable). That's about what I did (going from 8mg every day to often as little as 1mg now) and it was pretty comfortable that way

One great point she makes is try always never to go backwards, even if that means getting 'stuck' at a dose for longer than planned, because you feel it's difficult to go lower yet. I got 'stuck' a couple of times for a few weeks, but most importantly I never increased back up.

Slow but steady, and listening to your own body (taking things at your own pace) just like Ashton says works in my experience

I now take as little as 1mg daily, and can probably try harder to drop even that (the problem I guess is I'm quite happy at that point compared to where I was). On very anxious/uncomfortable days I do take more - but it now works like it should again, and I'm not just taking it because my body 'expects' it every day.

Good luck to you

Hi

Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear from someone who has successfully cut down on the Diaz

I was thinking 2mg at a time is too much for me, I would prefer to go 1mg at a time and hopefully then I Wont have withdrawals too bad. I just hope my GP is understanding about it all and is happy to go at my pace ( I recently moved so I'm with a new practice) I really do want off them now as they just dont work like they used to, here's hoping the cit works ok for me and helps with the anxiety/ panic attacks/agoraphobia.

I'll let you know how I'm getting on

You're welcome Vicki

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that 2mg per day per week isn't possible, or that it's dangerous, just that I think it's quite ambitious.

1mg at a time you won't have withdrawals at all really I don't think, just perhaps feel a little bit more on edge from time to time. Following that schedule, it was really easy, promise

Perhaps read up on Ashton's site like I did and then take that knowledge and info in to your GP?

Again, best of luck, and please keep us posted how you get on

Hi again

I know what you meant about the 2mg I think it's a bit too ambitious for me as my anxiety is quite high anyway with just starting the cit

I'm going to research the info you gave me and speak to my GP this week Its gave me a much more positive outlook knowing youve been through the same thing and knowing i should be able to drop with no withdrawals, I've been really scared about trying to come off them but the time is right for me

Thanks again

print a copy of the Ashton Manual off and show it to your GP. The Ashton Manual is a credible peer reviewed document and Heather Ashton has had a lot of success weaning people from benzodiazepines. If you show your GP that you are pro active in your approach and mean busines, it may give them the confidence they need to trust your judgement. Bottom line is come off at a rate that YOU are comfortable with, and if you do have difficulties, rather than going up in dose, stick at that particular dose until you feel stable enough to continue. More GP's are becoming educated on taking people off these drugs, but not all are up to speed yet. State your case clearly and concisely and you should then obtain the support you need. First rule in coming off is dont anticipate any withdrawals. Deal with each day as it comes and maintain as healthy a lifestyle as you can while you adjust. I was on these drugs for five years and I followed the Ashton Manual too. Take your time, and dont rush your withdrawal.

Thanks guys, I went to see my GP today and he's leaving the Diaz for now, I'm in day 17 of citalopram and anxiety levels are through the roof, he said I should be this bad after more than 2 weeks in so he's changed me to 50mg of sertraline, he said we can discuss a plan of action when I get a medication thats going to help so no stressing about it just now

Thanks for all the advice guys

Quick update
    My GP was really understanding and was willing to try it my way it's been 4 weeks now and I've went from 13mg to 10mg a day, im taking things slowly at a pace I'm comfortable with and fingers crossed its all going well

I'm on 2.5mg now; it took me quite a while to get down to this dose and it's not been easy. Once you get down to 5mg take it in 0.5mg decrements - no more! Even cutting down at this rate is giving me some nasty symptoms at the moment, for example - last night was like something from nightmare on elm street. The symptoms seems to last about 3 to 4 weeks for me - they come in waves - please do not try to cut down weekly as its far to soon.

My GP is a total idiot and I had to argue to get the liquid diazepam to taper off slowly: he didn't want to give it me because he says it costs to much, nice chap hey. I must be really unlucky with GPs as they all seem to do the opposite in terms of support.

Anyway rant over, but just remember the lower the dose you're on the smaller the decrement.

Thanks for the advice I'm now down to 7mg, it's not all been plain sailing but I'm getting there

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information