Thread: Loud Quiet Loud

Loud Quiet Loud

Hi
    I've suffered from anxiety issues since age about 20 (at least I recognised them as such since then). Seems to come over in waves, and have always come out of the other side after a prolonged intense episode (seem to come by every 3 - 5 years with lower level general anxiety in between, liveable with) - although often having needed to go to my GP (and be prescribed an SSRI). Have had counselling a few times too, varying success - CBT seemed to be the most useful and has given me a few tools that help me get by. Last episode was three weeks ago, and I've been doing ok without needing to go to my GP. Have always been able to work too, but life hasn't been easy - initially I thought my problems were depression, but that's just been an outcome of the anxiety if it's gone unchecked. Feel most frustrated that the anxiety appears to control my life too much, what I can do, what I'm prepared to give a go, and limits my outcomes and future too much. My biggest desire is to be relatively calm, take a few risks and feel like I'm not holding myself back.

Interested to hear how other people cope and in particular what has helped other sufferers to live full lives without nerves taking over (my symptoms are generally tight chest, slugish thoughts, inability to concentrate, and having to fight to stay involved with day to day life)

Hi skinnyboy

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Thread Information