Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi all

Hi all

Hi, my name is Alex, and I had my first (and only so far) panic attack two weeks ago. That was scary, but the ECG at the hospital at least showed me I wasn't going to die!
    What I'm troubled by is the anxiety I've been feeling since the attack. It comes and goes, but it's pretty much there all the time, and it's miserable! I've not slept properly since, either (couple of hours a night if I'm lucky). I've been around the no more panic website, joined no-panic and have kevin Gournay's book as well as relaxation cds, so I am (typically for me) going in with both feet! I've also given up smoking, caffeine and am eating healthily.
    The one thing I want (need?) to know is whether the anxiety I'm feeling is still down to the panic attack, or has turned into GAD. Anyone help?? And what kind of timescales have people had for things like mine, before they begin to improve? I seem to have bad days (today), and good days (yesterday).

Thanks guys!

Alex.

Oh, if it helps, when I had the attack, I was suffering from tonsilitis (I'm told this could have brought it on). I'm 33, male and have no family history of anxiety/ panic.

Hi Alex

Welcome to the site . Well done for getting help early - it's so beneficial

It won't have turned into GAD in 2 weeks . You're likely to be having fear of the fear. It was such an awful experience that you're constantly afraid of having another one .

Read the First steps post under welcome, do some work with your CD's on relaxing and/or get out there and do some vigourous exercise if your tonsilitis is better and wear yourself out so you do sleep well . You need to break this cycle of waking and it will reset itself. I slept for 1 hour a night for 3 weeks then went straight back to normal nights after a long walk/run and a vetiver massage one night.

Tonsilitis won't have brought it on. But if you were feeling rotton with tonsilitis it may have got you wondering what the racing heart , tight throat was all about, how bad could it get etc and started to dwell on things which led to the panic attack. Think back to what you were thinking about at the time.

Well done for lifestyle changes- if you were big on caffiene or smoking - you could be having a bit of withdrawal.

Take care

Hear from you soon

Meg

"Come to the edge."
    "We can't. We're afraid."
    "Come to the edge."
    "We can't. We will fall!"
    "Come to the edge."
    And they came.
    And he pushed them.
    And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

Hi meg- thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I've been told by various expert-type people that the first attack might have stemmed from my illness, plus being run down and stressed by my new(ish) job. It was puzzling, as I was literally sitting watching TV when it happened! Admittedly, my pulse had been high and heavy, but I put that down to the tonsilitis and I wasn't dwelling on it.

Whatever the cause, it's good to know that it's just 'fear of the fear', and not GAD. Although is it right to say that if the anxiety carries on for a time it gets classified as panic disorder?

I guess I'm not badly off really- I am able to get around and go to work (albeit not for a full day). My boss and work are really supportive (ironically I work for the NHS in a mental health Trust!). I'm single and my parents are both dead, but my friends and grandfather (and his wife) have been enormously supportive.

I'm rambling now. One question- I was taking strong prescrip sleeping pills, then herbal nytol (not the same nights), neither seemed to be working terrible well, so I'm going without tonight. Last night (herbal nytol) I had some REALLY bizarre thoughts, although I suspect I might have been dreaming/ half asleep. Is this likely, or could I really be out there so far (not connected to the panic attack).

Finally, having looked around the site, I just wanted to say how amazing it all is- a credit to you all.

Cheers,

Alex.

Hiya Alex,

Just wanted to say welcome to the site!

Kate x

'plus being run down and stressed by my new(ish) job'

This now becomes very possible adding these things all together. Pure Overload .

I can quote you the criteria for GAD and panic disorder but I would recommend that you not even think of this as it's months off and you will be over this by then and it will be becoming a distant memory.

You do need to look after yourself now and in your future. Some Vit B complex in addition to your lifestyle will help support your adrenals and CNS system .

Dreams are much more common to be memorable ( in a variety of ways) when you're taking any form of help to sleep.

Take care

Meg

Thanks Meg- appreciate that. Overload seems most likely- although I'd been in my job for 4 months, it is pretty different to what I was used to, with much more responsibility and stress!

Feel I'm doing right things, but will look for B-complex vits if you reckon they'll help.

Thanks again- it really is amazing how much just a friendly message on a forum like this can help!!

Best,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the site! As Meg also said good job on looking for help early on (wish I wouldve done that) Well I hope the site helps you a lot as is has for me and many others so good luck on your way to recovery!

-Christie[:I]

Hi Alex, welcome to the site. As Meg says, it's the "fear of the fear" that's the bugger, espescially when you can't even explain what it is you're frightened of, or were frightened of, in the first place. If you think hard though, some wayward thought may well have triggered the first attack. Illness does make you dwell on things you otherwise might not (hmmm, tonsolitis. Or throat cancer!!!)and can set you off. Also, one of my big triggers that I've realised over the years is fatigue. If I'm not getting good sleep, I'm much more vulnerable to anxiety. It seems you've not been sleeping well, and this may add to the stress. Hope you're feeling better soon, and if the panic's made you give up smoking it's already had one massive positive effect on your life and health! Good Luck.

Jim

Hi Alex

Welcome to the site. My CBT man is Kevin Gournay - he is very nice too!

Emily

Thanks for your support everyone- it means so much!
    Today was a generally good day- slept ok and got some important work done (felt good to finish a particular task that had been hanging over me). Also coped with heavy traffic on the M25 (which was one of the situations I was anxious might trigger an attack).
    So, despite some anxiety earlier today, pretty good.

Thanks again,

Alex.

If you're in a hole, stop digging... unless you're a miner.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information