Thread: Blood Test Result- Elevated Enzyme(Panic!!!!)

Blood Test Result- Elevated Enzyme(Panic!!!!)

Hey guys.

I'm in such a state right ow I do't even know what to think to make myself feel better. I took blood work last week as a part of y annual yearly physical and I went in for the results today. It's been about a year and a half since my last blood work.

The doc completely freaked me out when she told me today that my liver enzymes were elevated!!!!!!!!

She started telling me that this could be due to hepatitis, cancer, inflammation, alcohol or certain meds. I only take xanax when I need to take it(once a month mabye) and I DON'T drink any alcohol at all.

I'm supposed to go on vacation this Tuesday for about 3 weeks and my doc has give me the ok to go because I don't have an appointment for a ultrasound until the end of July. But how can I go and have a good time thinking that I might have liver failure or cancer or hepatitis and I'll die. Ever since the doc told me today I started feeling pain in my right side and I don't even know if its real or not.

Can someone please give me any advice as to what this is or if anyone has had this experience??? Please I'm very desperate, I've tried using the chat room to calm down but I can't log in fro my phone.

Could anxiety/adrenaline weaken or cause damage to the liver??

Re: Blood Test Result- Elevated Enzyme(Panic!!!!)

people can be so thoughtless! What a silly woman to tell you those things. I'm sure if it was serious your doc would've ordered urgent scans etc. Also i'd imagine you'd have lots of other symptoms, maybe jaundice even. It's a shame this has happened just before your holiday as if you're worrying you'll probably not enjoy it. Couldn't you see your doctor before you go and have a chat?

Thanks for replying. I was just at the docs office talking to her. Accordig to her, everything else on my blood test was great EXCEPT for the enzyme and she's not worried. I can't see a gastro doc for an ultrasound until the end of July because all of the appts are full.

I' so scared right ow I feel like I just wanna cry!

Look at what you said though

"She's not worried"

They would not let you just wander off if it was serious - there would be more immediate scans and tests etc.

Nothing is going to happen whilst you are on holiday so don't think the worse ok?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have told other posters this when they get raised liver enzymes. I have a friend whose enzymes are always raised and after many tests there is not reason for this and he is fit and well and has been like this for past 15 yrs at least.

If you had gallstones that were causing your enzymes to be raised then this would give you other unmistakable symtoms that you just don't have.

Have you taken any anti fungal meds in past 6 montsh as again another friend took this for a toenail infection and it took a year for her liver tests to return to normal.

There are so many innocent reasons for this and as all your other bloods were fine then its unlikely to be anything nasty.

See, look at what the others have said.
    It's only natural to worry but seriously if you had anything serious they wouldn't be saying they weren't worried. Also all of your other bloods were fine which seems to further support the fact that it's not serious. Your doc says she's not worried so please don't worry yourself sick x x x have a hug x

Oh honey
    How awful for you to have this hanging over you as you go on holiday. Like the others, I want to say don't worry about it, but I know that if I was in your situation I'd be beside myself too. It was quite irresponsible of your doctor to throw the C word around like that when all your other tests were fine. I sometimes think that because doctors deal with this stuff every day that they get desensitised to stuff and don't realise how scary things can be to the patients (especially the ones with HA.) xxx

Thanks to all for responding. I feel a little better after reading your responses. I was in such a state that I called my cousin who's my age and she told me that her husband who's 27, had(or still has) and he's fine. My aunt also called me to reassure me that her husband(my uncle) had this and he's fine as well. But my aunt reassuring me doesn't help much because he's on a ton of meds for blood pressure and cholesterol(lipitor).

My cousin did reassure me a bit though because her husband doesn't do drugs, drink nor is he on any meds whatsoever. All I know is that I'm scared and I just want everything to be ok.

I'm only 21 and I dont want to have liver problems.

Well the fact that you're 21 makes it even more unlikely!! You are so young darling Maybe it's something that runs in your family and it's completely harmless? xxx

I had this about six months ago. My doctor made me take another blood test a couple of weeks later (presumably just a precaution) and it was fine. I made no dietary changes and took no pills. I'm not a doctor but I imagine this happens in everybody at one time or another.

Thread Information