Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad withdrawal

Thumbs down Bad withdrawal

Oh My god am having the most horrible with drawal symptoms; brain shocks; sickness ; diarrhoea and irriatability. How long does this last cos right now feel like i'm gonna die !! Please tell me this doesn't last for long !! Yesterday i was sooo bad i had to chop one of my tablets into quarters and reluctantly took one of the bits; but just hate this drug so much for what it has done to me...

Re: Bad withdrawal

What are you taking?

Unhappy Re: Bad withdrawal

Was on venlafaxine 225mg daily; took 150mg in the morning & 75mg at night.

Hi juanna, I know what you're going through :( Been there too... am actually in withdrawal from the demon venlafaxine right now. I wasn't on such a high dose though! You must have pretty bad anxiety to be taking so much? Was it your gp's decision for you to withdraw, or your own? I think it's possibly one of the hardest "legal" drugs to come off.. I feel like I'm dying and going mad too... this will be my fourth attempt at coming off them :( I feel like a "venlafaxine prisoner"... there was another post regarding this.. from brit.. he came off them successfully by using prozac. I wish you luck

Oh dear sounds like you're having a bad time as well !! At the moment I am still having the brain shocks although they are becoming more bearable thank god. I think my anxiety became worse because of the venlafaxine so thats why the dose was high; but thankfully My new GP is supportive and is happy for me to come off it. It's an evil drug & even if i'm desperate it's not one i will ever go back on !! Good luck with you're withdrawal & maybe you would like to become anti- venlafaxine buddies lol !! Juanna

Hi again juanna, yes anti-venlafaxine buddies! Sounds good Maybe we can support eachother through the bad times x

Smile Re: Bad withdrawal

Hey yep that would be good !! compare notes & stuff. Am going to see my psychiatrist this afternoon; so will keep you posted. I feel a bit better today but still getting some brain shocks & this is day five of withdrawal so am really hoping this all stops soon .... How are you getting on today ?

HI Juanna, i know what you are going through as i came off Venlafaxine a few weeks ago.
    What helped me was taking 20mg of Fluoxetine daily for a week, then stop.
    It works in a very similar way to Venlafaxine, but (and this is the key bit) it has a much longer half life, meaning it leaves the body more slowly, in turn creating less horrible withdrawal symptoms.

My doc was sceptical ( i read about it on the net) but it really really helped me.
    Also Benadryl helped with the brain zaps.
    I feel your pain, but it doesent have to be as bad as it is.
    Hope that helps.

Don't forget the tablets go right down to 37.5 mg in size so you can gradually taper your dose down. Just reduce it a small amount and wait until you feel stable at the new dose ( even if that takes some months) then make another small reduction.

Personally I found both exercise and essential oils helped. Burning a mix of tea tree, lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus in one of those vaporiser things really helped with the withdrawal effects for me.

I got from 300 mg to zero in about 4 weeks but I wanted to rush it to get onto a new med. Not that I'd reccomend doing it that quick but I also needed to get rid of 30 mg of Mirtazapine and have a further 2 weeks cold turkey before I could start my MAOI. Because I did it all so fast I had to use a bit of codeine and some valium. The codeine was no problem but the valium can be a bit addictive afterwards.
    Last edited by deepreason; 21-06-11 at 17:50.

Withdrawal effects lasted about 3-4 weeks for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information