Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost phobia

Ghost phobia

Hello everyone.

Does this phobia actually exist? Is this real and is there a term for it? I think I'm totally stupid for this and I hate it. I stress myself out so much that I may see a ghost or another type of apparition that I feel like I am going crazy. It's worse at night when I'm in bed. I'm always on edge and very, very scared because I think a ghost is going to appear in my room. Or maybe my lamp will turn on and off and something will fly off the wall due to a poltergiest.
    I can't read horror stories or watch horror movies. I can't watch any ghost programmes like 'most haunted' because I have PA's while they are on. I can't look at pictures that may be ghost related. I can't even have a discussion about ghosts without being terrfied. I always think that if I talk about spirits there may be some about that may be listening and come to get me. If the company I am in starts talking about it I have to walk away or try to change the subject.
    I'm so scared of this that it takes over. Does anyone else experience this? How do you deal with it?

Kez xx

Re: Ghost phobia

Hi hun

Yes there is such a thing, its called Phasmophobia

Fear of ghost alot of peeple have, some people like to feel scared, to diognose a phobia of ghost they say its not easy.

You can do your reaserch on the net to see if you can get some support with this, I don't have a phobia myself, BUT, have a good imagination and can frighten the life out of myself.

Hope someone pops along who can help you a little more

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Thanks Jill. I have just been looking on the net but I was scaring myself as I was reading it so I stopped. You know I even stay up really late at night because I'm so frightened of something appearing in my room. As I'm sat here on the computer I keep thinking I can see moving shadows behind me...I feel so ridiculous.

Hi hun

Its not ridiculous, please don't think that. I know its dame hard for you right now

Hunny, sorry if you got more scard when trying to help yourself, Mmm maybe this is not a phobia, maybe its just Mrs anxiety playing with you.

When we suffer anxiery, it can target what we fear the most OR it can target what we have little fears of and in normal mode we can ratianolise it, but when acute with anxiety it can make those small fears or anoyances seem soooo mush bigger, Mmm, let me try and exlpain a little more....

BEFOR panic/anxiety, you always got inpatiant in a long linE in a shop, when acute you mind and body can over react to this situation or on a bus or train, what never bothered you before, eg the croweds, they just enoyed you a little, you can over react when acute with anxiety, misunderstand the situation. Learning to use reasuring statments can help with this.

As I said hun, what little I read about this phobia says it can be hard to diagnose because most people get scared. You may have been always scard a little BEFOR anxiety, but always calmed yourself down, but becasue you have anxiety, at this present momemt in time, the anxiety is hightening your natral fears, which as I said, most people have, when it comes to ghost and the unknown.

Fear is one emotion we have, fear of the unknown is the strongest emotion.

You can get help with this CBT, or you can help yourself, from what I have read on here, you can get free CBT on the net, you can get books from the library. I have read books on CBT and I do feel they helped me.

The hardest thing is changing the way we think, its not easy, it takes alot of hard work, time and the right support.

I do wish I could help you more hun,

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Hi Jill.
    I have had CBT before but we never touched on this subject. To be honest it did help a little but I didn't find it great, maybe my expectations were too high. I do feel a little better about this after reading your post, it does make sense I suppose.
    I'm sure that my anxiety is heightened greatly when these thoughts enter my mind. Don't think you haven't helped me because you have just by answering my post, it put it into perspective for me after I read it, so thank you.
    Kez x

I'm terrified of ghosts too, or anything unknown come to that. I'm frightened of my own shadow half the time, as soon as it gets dark I'm like it. I won't ever go to bed at night until my husband does, won't even go upstairs on my own (good job we've got a downstairs loo too) haha! Seriously though, it's not funny is it, I often wonder how people live on their own as I'm monophobic too, I could never live alone. Not much help to you I'm afraid but you're not alone.

fran

Hello Pudding. Have you ever tried using crystals for your phobia? A lot of them have protective qualities...and they are beautiful!

Glad I'm not alone on this, I had a feeling I wasn't. I know that Holly Willoboughy has it bad because once on 'this morning' they had a ghostly section and people sent in pictures and stuff and she actually had to leave the studio while that part was on because she couldn't bear to look at the photo's, that's what I'm like.

I have had this on and off. Sometimes its worse than others. My main fear is of the dark..I hate dark and find it sinister, but never quite sure what I am scared of.

I used to be petrified of ghosts appearing, until my father died and it lessened, because I thought if I saw him, id be okay. Of course I never did see him.

I am much better now, but remember having the fear. I had to make myself be alone and go upstairs alone. If the thought does come along, then I push it out.

Have you all, always had this fear or is it new

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Phasmophobia, or the fear of ghosts, can be complicated to diagnose. Most of us experience a certain thrill of anxiety when telling ghost stories or watching movies that feature ghosts and other supernatural entities. Most people are able to control this fear, though, and even enjoy the feelings that it creates. For some people, however, this fear is overwhelming and life-limiting, thereby meeting the traditional definition of a phobia. Some experts feel that a phobia of ghosts may be symptomatic of a more serious thought disorder, as it may constitute a form of magical thinking. Let’s try to break down the relevant issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information