Thread: asthma? hayfever?

asthma? hayfever?

I've got Health Anxiety which has peaked recently (got a neuro appt this week and dreading it) and I have had some serious derealization going on for the past few days. At least I am hoping it is that and not something more sinister! Anyway, I had a good day today - felt more in touch with my surroundings and managed to have friends over for dinner etc. Anyway when I went to bed my legs started to tremble and I felt like I couldn't breathe but not in an anxious way but it felt like pressure in my chest. I ended up coming downstairs to empty the dishwasher (weird I know but had to do something normal and to distract me!) I don't have asthma but luckily have an inhaler (from one of my numerous GP visits!) so have had a couple of puffs on that but now I'm scared to go to bed incase it happens again. I'm hoping it's just a chest infection and I am over noticing symptoms but how can you tell if it's asthma or not? We spent the day at a local attraction with gardens so I suppose if it was hayfever I would have reacted there? Is it possible to have an asthma attack hours after being somewhere like that? Not sure whether I should take an anti histimine? Also if it does get worse - at what point would you seek further help. Sorry for waffling but tired and a tad worried and am not really trusting my own judgement at the moment....

Re: asthma? hayfever?

Hi MM x
    I have asthma and hayfever
    The asthma cough is evident when you blow out slowly from your lungs and you wheeze, resulting in a coughing fit usually. If you had a blast on the inhaler and felt relief, maybe see your Gp who will do a peak flow test. I get more breathless during the hayfever season as pollen aggrivates the delicate alveoli in the lungs. As an ex-nurse, I have to say taking meds not prescribed for you is never a good idea, so see your GP for a correct diagnosis. I know its very scary when you cant breathe, and obviously having health anxiety/anxiety/panic doesnt help. I hope you feel better anyway, just saw this post. (Ps a chest infection usually produces coloured phlegm, are you coughing anything up?). Take care, P x

Thread Information