Thread: Why can't i just accept the facts?!

Why can't i just accept the facts?!

Ok briefly, im 20 weeks pregnant, this is pregnancy no 7 for me after 5 miscarriages and 1 beautiful baby girl (well 5 yr old now)

So not been easy had a bleed at 7 weeks, but over the weekend i started suffering contraction like pain, i was actually very calm and rode it out for a few hrs before phoning L&D and they advised that i come in straight away. They didnt do anything, checked heartbeat with doppler and sent me home after some progesterone shots. They told me to bring my 2nd trimester scan originally booked for 27/06/11 forward to yesterday which i managed to do. Firstly and most importantly the baby is absolutely fine, exactly as she should be.
    Whilst there Doc decided best to take a look down there also, she mentioned that i have something called 'Cervical Erosion' she said i could have it treated after the pregnancy, it was basically
    'just' cells from my uterus growing on my cervix and to google it! Is she mad? Does she not realise the dangers of setting me loose on google researching medical conditions, im dead and buried within 15 mins! Anyhow lo and behold im convinced i must have cervical cancer and its very serious. Why can i not just accept the facts which are, it appears to be a very common problem not at all dangerous and treatment is preventative to avoid further cell changes rather than to 'treat' the condition.
    She has asked me to go back in 2 weeks so she can check my cervical length again which measured 3.9cm yesterday, googling it - 3.9cm seemed fine and did not suggest there was any shortening, however, asking me to return means she must be concerned with the possibility of shortening?!
    She advised i take more rest, lying down as gravity when sitting or standing put pressure on my cervix, so to say this she must be concerned? i was so distracted yesterday by news of the baby being absolutely fine, i didnt ask the right questions and today im feeling very very concerned about the things she said to me.
    Sometimes i really infuriate myself, im so paranoid, its ridiculous.

Re: Why can't i just accept the facts?!

Hi there! well, with regards to cervical erosion, i can hopefully reassure. I'm a total anxious freak when it comes to my health and during a routine smear, the nurse noticed i had cervical erosion. Well, i totally freaked out, stressed for weeks, convinved myself it was cervical cancer (despite all reassurances that erosion is VERY common: especially after pregnancy). Well, today (that is JUST how much i can relate to this) i got the results of my smear back (after an 8 and a half week wait!) and guess what? FINE! Just have to go for a little procedure to have erosion sorted but nothing sinister. Please relax and try enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. It's hard enough without giving yourself other stuff to worry about unnecessarily!

Hi Christers,

Thanks so much for you reply, it was very reassuring, the little procedure you mentioned do you know what that entails? my Doc mentioned some kind of laser treatment done under local? xxx

yes, that's exactly what it is. It just removes the cervical cells that have eroded onto the vagina, i think. It's a pretty routine procedure to have. Just a little uncomfortable for a while after apparently. I'm just waiting on a date for check up from gynae and then referral for treatment. now, stop worrying!
    Last edited by Christers; 20-06-11 at 22:07.

Hi
    Please don't worry, I've had this done also and it is very common. I had it done one afternoon and although I felt a little crampy I went back to work and my smears have all been fine since. Take it easy and enjoy your pregnancy, you deserve it.
    Love
    Tina xxx

Thread Information