Thread: How to break the cycle?

How to break the cycle?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

It always starts the same. I will feel pretty ok and someone will say or do something which kicks off my paranoia. I then get very anxious and crash with depression.

I know I shouldnt care what people think and most of the time I probably do misinterpret/over react to things, but I cant seem to break the cycle. Its like I know Im over reacting logically thinking but still cant switch it off.

Any thoughts welcome.

Re: How to break the cycle?

I suffer from the same, so I know how you feel. I'm fed up with people telling me I'm thin-skinned and over-react to things - I know I am, and I really can't help it, if I could I would.

When I'm really wound up I try to make myself cry as an emotional release. If I have a really stressful day at work (which is most days, really), I have a good cry in the shower when I get home, as it helps me unwind.

I punch cushions too.

Have any of you ever tried medication. I am a bit like this with general anxiety and am now on Sertraline which has helped.

Hi,i use to enjoy shopping but now if a couple of people look at me,probably purely innocently,i feel there is something wrong with what im wearing or they can tell i am panicky-so starts the paranoia and i feel uncomfortable again

Thanks for the replies.

I used to take citalopram. Ive been off them since the autumn. I found them to take the edge off sometimes but came off them as I was feeling better than I was. Im not as bad as I used to be but the feelings are still there. Guess I was hoping to learn to cope better without medication.

Im looking for a new job at the moment with full-time hours. Dont know how Im going to cope when I keep reacting the way I do.

I guess the bottom line is low self esteem and never feeling like I fit in anywhere :-(

I use to feel people were talking about me til my friend said instead of thinking they were saying somethin negative just think thy most probabley be saying Ahh isn't that nice what she is wearing or doesn't her hair look nice hope this helps xx

cathycrumble xx

yes know what u mean....those dreaded paranoid thoughts!!

Its good to know Im not the only one!

Thanks Cathy, I will try that.

Hi Spagetti,

Where work is concerned, I do find I feel far more comfortable in smaller concerns, where you only have a few colleagues to work with. Larger places seem to me much more intimidating and I feel less in control of things. I hate the cliques that form in these places and it seems so much harder to become a part of anything, thus fueling my paranoia. At the end of the day though, so much depends on what the culture of the place is and what the individuals you work directly with are like. A friendly culture and pleasant colleagues can make the transition into the working world so much easier. I find my paranoia reduces and eventually disappears if I feel I am accepted by my colleagues.

Tyke

Thread Information