Thread: Smear test

Smear test

Hi,
    I have had 2 smear tests in the last 7months and both have come back inadequate which i accept. But now i have to go back for the 3rd, so my question is, How many times can one person keep going to have these smears? this could go on forever and ever!
    The problem is that i feel like not bothering again, because the third one could be the same.

Re: Smear test

I think it doesn't matter how many times they take it a long as they get proper result but best time to go is when you in the middle of your cycle...so i've been told.
    I think best to have it done than be sorry later on. good luck

Cheers Keta, i will go back to put my mind at rest, but i wonder how common it is for a woman to have more than 2 smears in less than 7 months, had one done at surgery and one at a family planning. I always go the 15day after bleed which is good, 14-18 day is considered the best....

Hi
    Usually if it comes back abnormal or inadequate they will try a few more times to get it right. I used to go to my doctor/nurse for smears but was always having this problem so now I get them done at the family planning clinic. they are far less uncomfortable and very quick as this is their speciality.

Hi eternity, thx for comment
    The first one i had this year was a my surgery, and my second i went to family planning, that is why i am annoyed....
    Now i have to wait another 3 months

Surgery? Did they have to perform a LEEP? I ask because I had an abnormal pap back in February..and a biopsy done..and have to go back in 6 months for another pap and colopscopy..to make sure the ''problem'' area hasn't returned..if it does then a LEEP will be performed.

Not sure about in the U.K (I'm in the states) but if you have an abnormal one they require you to be seen every 6 months..not every 3 months.

Hi

I experienced this a long long time ago and they monitored me until they were happy with the results - outcome good. I think I had three 6 monthly checks.

I guess we should be glad the doc's are monitoring any abnormality that shows up.

Relax and try not to worry too much.

Hi jay ann and liliana83,
    thx for replies, I know its good that i am being monitored its just that my anxiety always fears the worst, for instance my mind always plays out the worst scenario it can and then i get stressed about everything.
    But i will try to relax and get on with my life!! No there was no leep at all performed at the moment, they are still unsure what to do!!
    Thx guys for replying, i appreciate all that you have said.

Hiya,

I can totally relate to this because I think I've had 5 or 6 smear tests and only one has been normal so I'm having to have colposcopies every 6 months. A biopsy was taken which came back normal but still every smear comes back with mild changes. It's very frustrating and worrying and I feel like not bothering either but I guess there's no way round it and at least we are getting checked.

Em x

Hi emmax,
    I can relate to the worrying feelings.
    I bet you are really fed up with the constant attention of having to have smears...it is good thing that we are being looked after, but i cannot help wonder just slightly, how a man would feel about smears if it were them that had to go through it...i am not so good at waiting thats all and because my mom had cervical cancer it makes it worse...xx

Thread Information