Thread: too frightened to go to gum clinic

too frightened to go to gum clinic

I'm worried about my sexual health as I had unprotected sex a while ago. I'm too frightened to go to the clinic because of my anxiety. I'm scared of what the receptionists/doctors/other people in the waiting room will be thinking.
    Even the thought of walking into the building makes me anxious.
    I thought about asking my GP about it but then if I get any tests done at my local doctors surgery and have anything then it means I will have to get medication from the chemist and I can't stand the thought of that because they will know what it is for. I feel uncomfortable in the chemist just getting my antidepressants :-( what shall I do??

Re: too frightened to go to gum clinic

i wouldnt worry if i were you, im sure they see people with worries about there sexual health all the time in your doctors surgery. Besides, im sure your fine, but just go to put your mind at rest, im sure it wont be any where as near as what you think, when i think about the embarrasing things iv been to my doctors about, it doesnt bare thinking about!! but its there job x

Hi Kate
    If you under 24 you can order chlamydia test online for free and then send it off to lab by post look up some NHS sites for info

I quite agree it can feel embarrassing going to the GUM clinic, I wanted to go in with a paper bag over my head. However the actual experience was completely the opposite of what I expected. First there were people from all walks of life there - from young to old. Second, they clearly see so many people you really are (in the nicest possible way) completely insignificant to them. Third, the staff are really professional and friendly, as are/were the doctors and nurses. I'd certainly have no worries if I had to go again.

thanks ingenious I'm just going to have to get a grip and go :-( my friend said she'd come with me. I'm also worried because my brother is a student nurse so i know lots of his friends that are nurses too if I see one of them i'm going to be mortified! maybe i should get a disguise! :-D
    Well first step is to book an appointment then I might be less nerveous.

There are some clinics that do confidential appointments..where you don't have to give your name..address..etc.

It is VERY important to get checked out..your health should be #1. Do it..you will feel great that you did...

What does GUM mean..? I'm in the states..
    Last edited by Liliana83; 23-06-11 at 21:55.

Thread Information