Thread: OCD needing urgent help

OCD needing urgent help

Hi all only just come across this site, i have a history of anxiety, depression, OCD's over the last 20 years, recently i have been to the dentist and since then i have become really self conscious about my teeth and their position, feel etc against my tongue, i have now got into a habit of checking them and gliding my tongue along them, 2 teeth in particular i try and avoid touching when i talk and this makes me sound stupid and has become as obsession, i am even tempted to damage these 2 teeth in order to get them took out as the dentist wouldnt do anything to them as he said there is nothing wrong with them. If anyone has any ideas on what could help with this then it would be much appreciated as it is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance

Re: OCD needing urgent help

This kind of thing is a perfect case for CBT therapy. Have a chat with your doctor and get put on the waiting list. They'll teach you ways to not do this.

Hi thanks for the reply, well i have had CBT in the past but that didnt seem to work for me, so im not sure what else would help other than knocking these 2 teeth out!lol ??

Might still be worth another go with a different CBT therapist, there are good and bad ones. Sorry if I sound like I'm pushing the CBT angle, normally I'm not a big fan of it, I'm more biased towards meds, but this just sounds like such a textbook case where it could help.

If you wanted to go the medication route though, there are quite a few antidepressants that are now also approved for use in cases of OCD. You doctor should be able to recommend which one they think is right for you.

Hi thanks for the reply, i am taking citalopram at the moment, been on it for about a year, im on the 20mg dose, i did go to 40mg a while ago but found it made me very tired, maybe this was because i was taking it in the morning?? I went to my doctors last week and have been put on the waiting list again for i guess CBT, he also suggested i increase my citalopram dose to 30mg. I have also been thinking of trying hypnotherapy seeing as i have had problems with anxiety/OCD's and depression for a number of years, does anyone have any thoughts on how good or bad hypnotherapy is for these things? Thanks

I've tried hypnotherapy for my OCD. To be honest, I don't think it did much for me other than try and get me to relax as opposed to helping with my problem.

I think it works for some people and not others; it depends on how much stress your problem is causing you and how frequently you think about it. I am waiting on CBT just now, and I suppose that might work better. But it is just my opinion.

Thread Information