Thread: Do I need Citalopram?

Do I need Citalopram?

Hi, I got quite depressed a few years ago and was self harming and feeling suicidal as well as having a constant state of high anxiety and panic. I managed to get past this (without any medication) but it kept coming back on and off since then and nothing seems to make me happy. I try and keep myself really busy all the time so I don't have time to think or be by myself. A couple of weeks ago I went on holiday and had a lot of time to think when I started feeling quite suicidal again, not dramatically but in a reasoned, calm way like I have had enough of everything. I came back from holiday last week and felt the same and started to feel more depressed and anxious, crying every few minutes and generally feeling despairing. I went to my doctor on Tuesday and she prescribed me Citalopram (10mg). I started taking them Tuesday morning and have felt a little bit spaced out and anxious yesterday and today and very tired. But I'm not feeling quite as bad as last week. I woudln't say I'm happy or ok but I don't feel as low as that. I know the tablets take a while to work so it can't be them and now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't take them as I might just be able to do it myself. At the same time I'm worried about not taking them in case I'm just having a good day and it might get bad again. I have been having psychotherapy for about a month and I haven't had a loss of appetite. Plus I have still been going to work and although it is making me a bit anxious it can be a good distraction from my own thoughts. I don't want to take medication if i don't need it! Thanks

Re: Do I need Citalopram?

The psychotherapy is a good thing, but it may be not enough for you. There's nothing to worry about if you take citalopram- you will not get addicted to it. Better take it, 10mg is almost nothing so don't worry.

Yes, I would say if the problems keep recurring it might be worth looking into medication as a new tool to combat the depression. After all, they're called antidepressants for a reason. You'd take paracetemol for a headache, wouldn't you?

The biggest obstacle to medication is that people think they are weak or a failure by taking them. This is totally the wrong attitude. It takes a LOT more courage to accept a new method of treatment than it does to walk away. By taking the meds and sticking to them, you are making a mature and adult choice. If you didn't take them, you would simply be surrendering to fear, and I think that fear has already made enough of an impact on your life. Do you agree?

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thanks so much for your replies, I saw my therapist last night and she agreed. I will continue to take them and hopefully they will work in tandem with the therapy to get to the root of the issues. Thanks again :-)

Hi
    I've been on citalopram for just over two years and they have been a godsend so it really is worth sticking with it.
    This may be way off the mark but I noticed in your post that the depression seems to have its highs and lows. It's just that I was like that for about a year and thought I was losing the plot as I would be okish for a few weeks then hit rock bottom. It wasn't until I saw the doctor and started keeping a diary that we realised it was severe pms. As I said I might be totally off the mark but just thought it may be a possibility.
    Love
    Tina xxx

Thread Information