Thread: Mirtazapine and memory loss?

Mirtazapine and memory loss?

Hi there,i just wondering if anyone else has had this experience? I have recently developed; poor memory/problem solving skills/bad reading/spelling originally i thought it maybe to do with being pre-menopausal but the last 2 days i have upped from 15mg to 30 mg of Mitazapine and i feel worse overall. Does this sound familar to anyone at all? Thank you.

Re: Mirtazapine and memory loss?

I'm taking 45mg mirtazapine for the past two years. I can't say that memory loss associated with mirtazapine has been a problem. It has been identified as being a problem with lithium use. I have been taking lithium for thirteen years with no significant memory loss. Uppng meds can make you feel lousy any way so I would see if this improves over the next few weeks. I used to be on dothiepin as well which used to make me sleepy and less alert. I feel much more alert on lithium and mirtazapine. I do somethimes have problems remembering peoples names but have put that down to old age! I hope things settle down for you which I'm sure they will. Are you taking any other meds? EJ

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethJane View Post
    I'm taking 45mg mirtazapine for the past two years. I can't say that memory loss associated with mirtazapine has been a problem. It has been identified as being a problem with lithium use. I have been taking lithium for thirteen years with no significant memory loss. Uppng meds can make you feel lousy any way so I would see if this improves over the next few weeks. I used to be on dothiepin as well which used to make me sleepy and less alert. I feel much more alert on lithium and mirtazapine. I do somethimes have problems remembering peoples names but have put that down to old age! I hope things settle down for you which I'm sure they will. Are you taking any other meds? EJ
    Hi Elizabeth Jane,thanks for your reply,im taking HRT (low dose) for the last 2 weeks. My Counsellor did say to me sometimes upping a dose can cause memory loss,so im wondering it maybe that. Some days i dont know what day/date it is and i have to read things 4-5 times to understand them,which is frighting. I thought if i posted on here,maybe it would ring a bell with someone and help me work out what is going on.

I have this problem with mirtazapine my spelling has got terrible, I have even tried doing spelling tests on the Internet and I cant even get the full set of spelling correct in the easy section. I rely heavily on the spell check now. I also have terrible memory loss and have to write reminders down but this doesn't always work as I forget about my reminder too. I was worse when I first went on mirtazapine but I have improved a bit since then but not a lot.

Hi Abby,
    I'm not sure if I'd call it memory loss, but definitely when I started taking mirtazapine, I had the weird feeling of being like a zombie, or maybe 'brain fog'. That first month and a half is all kind of a blur to me now, I just remember a few particular events from that time. I ended up having to get university extensions for coursework as I just couldn't concentrate or focus. But it did improve, I don't want to scare you too much! Although that feeling was stronger at the start of taking the pills, rather than associated with increasing the dose.
    I hope things calm down and you start feeling better.
    Zee x

Hi there,thanks for your replies and good wishes,im now wondering if my memory loss/brain fog etc is to with the Pre-Menopause (im 45)-its the not knowing thats the worse,as if i dont know what the cause is i cant get help/treatment for it.......

Hi Abby, I found mirtazepine horrendous ( maybe I told you already?) I think it probably does impact on your memory, but so does the anxiety and perimenopause :( So you probably have a combination of reasons why you're feeling like so bad :( I've stopped searching for a definitive answer, as I don't think there is one... good luck hunny x

Thread Information