Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow release propanolol - question

Slow release propanolol - question

Hi,
    Last year, I was put on slow release propanolol (80mg) to help reduce the constant adrenalin production (which I think was also contributing to my other symptoms of nausea, lack of energy and other general anxiety symptoms).
    However, after about 10 days on them, I started to feel depressed and so, with GP's knowledge I stopped taking them. Depressive symtoms cleared within a couple of days.
    I'm now again in the position of having had two weeks off work with stress/anxiety symtoms, the most prevalent of which is the constant adrenalin surges and constant nausea.
    I've actually asked if I can give Propanolol another try, just to get some respite and whilst I try to get myself back to the point of returning to work.
    My GP asked whether I wanted slow release again or whether I wanted to try 20mg tablets, up to three times a day or as and when needed.
    I opted for the 80mg slow release, one per day (as I'm useless at remembering to take more than one tablet a day!!) and hope this does the trick, without me getting depressive side effects again.
    Now, my question is . . . . is anyone else using slow release 80mg, and if so, do you take one every day, or as and when needed? Or, does anyone have any views on whether the other form of Propanolol is a better approach?
    I've got the option of swapping to the other form of tablet, but thought I'd check out what people's experiences have been when comparing the two types.

Re: Slow release propanolol - question

I take slow release and was in a similar position to you with a constant adrenal feeling in my legs. I take one a day and it took 3-4 weeks for the tablets to be working all the time. Life feels almost normal now body wise, I just wish the constant pins and needles would go.

I may be off the mark here but my understanding is the other form of the drug is more situational based than the slow release which is designed for all day. I may be wrong.

I was prescribed this 2 weeks ago but have been too scared to try it.... I will be taking one tomorrow and hopefully this awful jittery on edge feeling with bugger off! I have had this medication 8 or so years ago but I'm nervous to try it again..... :(

I have had the 'instant' betablocker last time too. It worked but I could feel it wearing off mid afternoon so my GP swapped it to the sustained release one and as I remember it was much better as the jitteryness didn't come back. I think I need to take my tabs again!!

Thanks for your replies . . . . I'm going to give these slow release ones a go again and see how I get on over the next week . . . will keep you posted. Bedtime now

Keep us posted. I'll be interested to hear how you get on Night x

It's taken me all this time to finally take the first one (80mg sustained releaes) . . whichI took yesterday morning. Didn't notice much difference at all in the symptoms I get . . . . but last night, for the first time in months and months, I found I couldn't get off to sleep, even though I was really tired. When I finally did, it was more of drifting in and out of sleep and the dreams were vivid; almost nightmarish, although this didn't concern me really. I just wish I'd had a better night's sleep, as I didn't arise until 9.30am . . . . but still with the symptoms of nausea, aching body/limbs/joints etc.
    I guess as they're sustained release, they may take a while to 'kick in' . . . but I hope the side effects don't show themselves . . . . I really need to try to get back to work in a week's time!

Hello there

It took me two weeks to pluck up the courage to take my first one. I am now on day 5.

The first few days I was really on edge and waiting for any sensation that may mean that the side effects were starting..... day 3 I felt like they had kicked in big time. I was sooooo tired even after a great night sleep. Today I feel a lot better (dare I say that?!).

I think they do take a good few days or so to get in your system and kick in. I still feel a bit dizzy when I'm out and about but yesterday when I had a dizzy attack the fear didn't set in. Well I felt a bit scared, waiting for the adrenaline to pump but it didn't happen so I had a word with myself and carried on

The last two nights I have really struggled to fall asleep and then have woke up at silly o clock in a funny dream like anxiety dream. Very strange but I have been able to tell myself to be quiet and gone back to sleep.

Keep us posted x

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera74 View Post
    Hello there

. . . . . but yesterday when I had a dizzy attack the fear didn't set in. Well I felt a bit scared, waiting for the adrenaline to pump but it didn't happen so I had a word with myself and carried on

The last two nights I have really struggled to fall asleep and then have woke up at silly o clock in a funny dream like anxiety dream. Very strange but I have been able to tell myself to be quiet and gone back to sleep.

Keep us posted x
    That sounds encouraging. Sounds like they may have started working for you . . . . I'll definitely give it a few more days at least (and I'm still signed off work next week) . . . . but I really do hate resorting to meds . . . I think I'm just still so frustrated with the work situation, which in turn makes me angry inside and therefore makes my body ache and all hell brakes loose with the adrenalin etc etc . . . as things currently stand, I'm also not finding enjoyment in anything to speak of (i.e. miserable outlook, but generally well-hidden from others), though I don't actually feel that depressed as it were. Strange thing for me is that I don't get heart paplitations, hyper-ventilation or tremor etc . . . just intensely wound up feeling, frustrated, tenseness, nauseous and a fair amount of negative thoughts and/or underlying 'feeling of dread' . . . . I am however, doing relaxation, cutting down the alcohol (slowly) and trying to keep physically active (decorating) . . . . what are your self-help techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by rmh View Post
    That sounds encouraging. Sounds like they may have started working for you . . . . I'll definitely give it a few more days at least (and I'm still signed off work next week) . . . . but I really do hate resorting to meds . . . I think I'm just still so frustrated with the work situation, which in turn makes me angry inside and therefore makes my body ache and all hell brakes loose with the adrenalin etc etc . . . as things currently stand, I'm also not finding enjoyment in anything to speak of (i.e. miserable outlook, but generally well-hidden from others), though I don't actually feel that depressed as it were. Strange thing for me is that I don't get heart paplitations, hyper-ventilation or tremor etc . . . just intensely wound up feeling, frustrated, tenseness, nauseous and a fair amount of negative thoughts and/or underlying 'feeling of dread' . . . . I am however, doing relaxation, cutting down the alcohol (slowly) and trying to keep physically active (decorating) . . . . what are your self-help techniques?
    That's how I started... wound up feeling, frustrated, irritable and I felt sick all the time.

Then I caught a bug that was going round and it really floored me. I struggled to get back to normal and before I knew it the wound up feeling turned into full blown panic :(

One thing I have realised it that I don't have any self help techniques. I used to come home from work and pour myself a large red wine. That I know now was adding to the anxiety. I need to find something to relax me long term!

I definitely find 20 - 30 minutes relaxation (listening to relaxation CD) helps to ground the feelings and I usually feel better for it afterwards . . . my issue is that I don't do this every day and I think it needs to be at least once a day for a few weeks.
    Once again, from tonight (promise!), I'm going to try to have an alcohol-free week . . . I too enjoy a glass or two of red wine and have done for years . . . but I know it doesn't help with the whole anxiety thing (except for the time it's being sipped and immediately afterwards ).
    I have read self-help books (Louise Hay, Susan Jeffers) which are good at putting things into perspective . . . but again, I'm hopeless when it comes to 'practising what's being preached!!).
    I've just started taking one of those pro-biotic drinks every day . . . this is to try to improve the health of my gut (after having been diagnosed with oesophagitis and duodenitis a coupel of weeks ago) . . . I've heard these can help to boost the immune system as well.
    I could really do with a proper massage, but can't afford one (£30 to £40 these days!!!), so again, I've just started to try some stretching exercises . . . early days yet though.
    I'm going to see how things progress this coming week before I decide whether to try to go back to work . . . might go for a phased return . . . but as things stand, the mental block is still there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information