Thread: pre - occupied with order

pre - occupied with order

Hi

i've had obsessional thoughts for years and they seem to change all the time, but the thoughts i'm having at the moment have been around the longest (6 months) cos usually they dont last that long before they change to something new. It concerns order, when I read or listen to information!!! I look to see if words are put in order because there is a relationship there, e.g, "save, open, and print the file". In this sentence there is an order, and because I know sentences can have words which are delibratly put in order, It now takes me ages to read cos I'm looking for the order. Is there anyone who experiences this - please let me know - or am I loosing it.

Thanks

paniccomesandgoes(ish)

Hi

You are not losing it don't worry! It sounds like a classic symptom of OCD. I used to read sentences over and over again reading out all the punctuation 'aloud' in my mind - I still start to do it when I am stressed but manage to stop myself now.

Have you seen your doctor as I believe CBT can help greatly with this?

Hope you find some help here.

Emily

Hi

Yeah, i've heard cbt can be very helpful, but I was refused it several years ago, cos the therapist said that even though it was a problem It wasn't as bad as her other patient's problems!! I've heard the book "mind over mood" is supposed to be good, by Padenski or someone. I take it you had cbt for you r problem then? I find that, my obsessional thoughts revolve around feelings of inadequacy. If I try to ignore my obsessional thoughts I feel really inadeqaute, and it is those feelings that drives me to do it.

Thanks for replying

Ish

Hi Ish

If you tried several years ago for CBT and were refused, maybe you can try again?
    Another thing - if you have feelings of inadequacy have you thought about a self esteem course, maybe that might be something worth looking in to.

love Sarah
    xx

Thread Information