Thread: Update on my med situation (Mirtazapine)

Update on my med situation (Mirtazapine)

I posted last week about my horrendous reaction to Zopiclone and how I was offered Temazepam as an alternative and I was also prescribed 15mg of Mirtazapine.

Well after being terrified initially I decided to forget sleeping tabs and go for the Mirt (brave emoticon). I expected to feel dreadful after reading the many posts on here about the side effects, but only three days in and I feel amazing, like a new person.

I have been on medication before and know how things work, so I don't understand how my mood could have changed so quickly! The only thing I can think of is that I am sleeping well again and this could be making me feel better?

I am a little worried that as I am feeling so good (able to leave the house again and no panic attacks since Sat) I am going to crash and burn and everything will cave in on me. I am worried that feeling this well will not last.

Has anyone else found they had a very quick positive reaction to the Mirt?

Re: Update on my med situation (Mirtazapine)

Yes I responded well to Mirt and am still on 15mg many months later. I have done so much better on this than any other medication. I've had a couple of recent dips which have been caused by external events and in both cases I've only dipped "so far" and bounced back (whereas before, a dip would be a major downer of almost limitless blackness and as much pain as I could absorb from the black pits of hell - that sums it up nicely!!). This has really shown me what a brilliant effect this is having on me. In anxiety terms, I've done things since I started Mirt that I couldn't have dreamed of before - events, networking, crowded rooms, pressure situations.

Best of all on a day to day basis I don't feel as if I am on medication, there aren't many ongoing side effects

I think Mirt is like marmite, people either take to it well or they don't, but if you do, it can be life changing.

It's the same here, I hardly feel I am taking medication. The first night I took it I felt like someone had put a brick in my head, but since then I just feel "naturally" tired and go to bed at the same time as my partner then fall asleep like normal.

In the mornings I am a little drowsy, but generally after feeling a little shaky (kind of like I have have woken suddenly from a deep sleep if you know what I mean) for an hour maximum I have been feeling brilliant. Not only has my anxiety disappeared I feel on a high like someone has suddenly told me that life is there to be enjoyed!

I am really hoping this does last because I couldn't bear to go back to the wreck I have been over the previous two weeks!!!

Really please to see that the Mirtazapine is working out for you - long may it continue
    Keep posting and keep us updated.

Take care,
    Belle xx

It's still going well thanks Belle. Went for my dr's appt yesterday to update her on my condition she said that medication can be very fast acting on some people even though it's not that common (the Citalopram I had a few years ago took at least 2-3 months to start improving my anxiety and mood) and said not to question it.

She also said not to be overly concerned if I have a blip for a few days here and there as that would be completely normal too, and to continue to take things easy and not attempt to run before I can walk just yet. I'm expecting a "blip" next Thursday when I have my next dental appt to meet the new dentist and find out what will happen with the root canal I have been waiting since May for. The dr also wants me to stay on the meds for at least 4 months and I'm still going to go ahead with the counselling when I get it.

I actually feel pretty "high" most of the time, but high on life, not as in high on drugs. I have become addicted to shopping again lol, I hadn't bought hardly any clothes for myself since I got pregnant last May and I have been enjoying indulging myself and buying a new wardrobe (which I am doing within my means I hasten to add, by making use of internet sale bargains). Plus I have bought some stuff for my children as I can never resist buying for them.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but I am just so glad I feel good! I even managed to sit down and watch a film last night with my fiance. Another side effect of this drug seems to be wanting to do stuff all the time, the amount of housework I do has shot up and I'm actually enjoying it!!!! Maybe I am insane after all .

Gosh I'm impressed!!! Most people who have tried or are on Mirt usually complain of initial tiredness and lethargy for the first two weeks or so - but with you it seems to be having an energizing and motivational effect. It just goes to show how different we all are.

I'm glad that you're so upbeat and that you're having some joy in life after having suffered for a long time... remember you deserve to feel like this. Don't rush to meet your troubles.. you may be projecting problems which may not occur. I'm sure you'll have no problem handling the visit... it will come and go like everything else. But should you experience a blip get in touch with your GP and come on here too - there will be someone who is or has gone through exactly the same.

I'm glad you're still going ahead with the counselling and not just relying on the meds alone.

Enjoy the rest of your day

Belle xx

Thanks, I will continue to visit as I realise I am still ill, but beginning the long road of recovery.

I suppose I just really can't believe my luck that the meds have worked so well! I will certainly be less fearful of trying a new medication in the future should I ever need to.

Rocklover this is also a good time - while you are motivated - to look at doing other things to help yourself. This can help build up a lot of momentum for any dips. Examples would be, exercise, a new hobby, better diet and so on. The sort of things you can't be bothered with when depressed. Do report back and keep us updated on your progress - and we're here to help you get through any problems.

Thread Information