Thread: feel so desperate

feel so desperate

Hi, I'm going through a really bad patch of anxiety, i suffered badly about 2 years ago but got better...i don't know if this helps or not...i get terrible pressure in my abdomen, so bad I cant sit or do anything,,,this then turns into throbbing pain....ive been docs and hospital and apparently its "in my mind" my doc has upped my citalopram from 20mg to 30 mg and now 40 mg :( not helped as yet...i find it really hard to distract myself from how I'm feeling, feel quite desperate actually like i cant go on...i have 3 teenagers who i desperately want to protect cos they suffered last time...can anyone relate and offer advice please xx

Re: feel so desperate

Hi Lisa T - Two trains of thought here.
    Firstly Stress.
    Stress can bring on many issues with the body that the mind simply cannot control or cope with e.g. the mind saying one thing but the body saying something completely different. I say this as a qualified patient of stress covering four years, having gone through an array of ailments, which to my horror were all down to stress. Medical tests and scans showed nothing (though strongly advise to seek medical advice whenever possible)
    Everything has been brought down to stress e.g.
    Upper Limb Disorder = aches, pains, tension and disorders involving all parts of my arms from my fingers to my shoulders and my neck. For years I have suffered tenderness, aches and pains, stiffness, weakness in my arms, tingling and cramps. I won’t bore you with how all this limited my everyday life.
    Alopecia = my hair fell out.
    Facial swelling= my cheek swelled up but was down to my teeth grinding during my sleep which disfigured my jaw and cheek
    Irritable bowel= no clues needed here
    Stress I feel, can be a silent killer. It brings on many other ailments , including anxiety and other conditions, which if not treated and I say this not to alarm or cause any anxiety but it can have the most devastating effect to ones quality of life, or even worse.
    My salvation was Amitriptyline. Taken in 20mg form once a day, helped to relax my muscles and relieve tension, I didn't know I had!!!
    I am now a different person and have my life back. So my only advise is have a word with your doctor, your anxiety may be stress related.
    Secondly, take up positive thinking and meditation. I could write a book about these and how they both really work to change lives for the better.

In God's keeping.

Hi thanks for the reply, it helps to hear from someone who has been there and understands, my doctor is not wonderful i must admit...just up the meds is not really the answer is it? I feel i need extra help how do i go about this?

No Lisa T you are right. Upping the med is not the answer so why not change your doctor or at least see another doctor, assuming there is more than one in your surgery? Or go back and explain you are not happy.
    My doctor was great and offered lots of options for me to handle my stress, such as counselling and exercise as well as medication, tests and scans, he couldn’t do more and followed up with me every six weeks for a year! Mind you I did ask lots of questions, I always do though. Maybe I come accross as being too demanding but hey, I pay enough national insurance so wanted to find out as much as I could !!
    It is amazing how two people in the same profession see things differently though so get another opinion if you are not satisfied. I saw two before I got what I wanted. Even now I simply ask to see another doctor whenever my doctor is not available. There shouldn't be any loyalty where your health is concerned. What is citalopram for? Research it online and get the facts.
    Last edited by menithorts; 03-07-11 at 10:59.

Hi Lisa, like you I have suffered from anxiety before and recovered, I had it in February 2008 till about October 2008 and it was the worst time of my life, however, that seems like a walk in the park compared to what I have been going through in the last six months!

I know however, that because I have beaten it once, I can beat it again, keep your chin up!

Rhys

Hi, thx for the reply, I to try to tell myself that I beat it before and can again but then the negative thoughts start..I have 2 docs, the one i just saw was far better with me last time...maybe hes getting fed up with me :( the other doctor last time just said have some tranquillisers and come back in 2 weeks!!! If they can't deal with it when not refer me on??? can i ask for this.

Yeah I'm sure you can, my doctor was worried about me and caring enough to refer me to see a psychiatric nurse, she worked with me for around 2 and a half months and it helped alot, I felt I was making suitable progress to stop working with her, in the end the shock of knowing I was now alone in dealing with this condition led me to a major relapse unfortunately.

Its so hard feeling so alone, nobody who hasn't suffered can really understand can they? and then when the med profession don't help it seems so hopeless, I feel like giving up I really do

Thread Information