Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirt working quickly then anxiety returning?

Mirt working quickly then anxiety returning?

Been on Mirt for 8 days and believe it or not the first 5 days gave immediate relief to my daily panic attacks and I felt on top of the world. However for the last 2 out of 3 days I have begun to feel edgy and panicky again and I'm quite upset about it.

Has anyone else experienced this? My dr told me not to worry if I had bad days or "blips", but I can't help it, I don't want to go back to being a wreck again.

Any advice or positive experiences would be really helpful to me. Oh and I've started getting horrid headaches, is this normal for this med?

Re: Mirt working quickly then anxiety returning?

Please can anyone help? Should I be asking to go up to 30mg or how long do I give the 15mg to kick in?

I'm really struggling today, managed to get my baby son to the doc's for his immunisations and pick my daughter up from school, but I'm severely anxious now, on the edge of a panic attack. How come I felt so good last week and now I am anxious again? I don't understand.

Hi, I see you have a baby... could your problems be hormone related? My psyche wanted me to start on 15mg for the first week, then up it to 30mg second week... I've decided to try and sort it out by myself Fighting the panic is really hard, but maybe it'll work out better in the long run? Maybe you could read up about anxiety/hormones, and the best ways to cope with them? Good luck x

Four to six weeks is the absolute minimum before you will feel any benefit from the mirt. 15mg is a starting dose then the therapeutic level is 30-45mg. Some doctors will increase more rapidly than this but this is the usual time scale. Mirtazapine takes longer than most ssris to 'kick in'. This is because its makeup is different. I had terrible anxiety when withdrawing from mirtazapine and it can be troublesome for some people whilst taking the drug. Some GPs will prescribe something alongside the mirt to help with anxiety. You will need to book an appointment with your GP and see what he says? I would not try to self medicate as a week is a short period of time to feel any benefit from the mirt. I hope that you feel better soon. EJ

I won't change my dose until I see my dr, but I was just wondering if what I am feeling is normal as I felt on a complete high last week.

Yes I am pretty sure this is hormone related, I am also fairly sure I am suffering from postnatal depression and the anxiety and panic is a part of it. I'm supposed to be going on the train with my daughter up to Oxfordshire on Friday to see her Dad, really frightened about it and also have a dentist appt tomorrow which I am terrified about. It's all too much!

I think in the very short term just the psychological boost from knowing that you are taking medication is what gives you that boost. On my mood chart my own mood jumped up just from seeing the doctor and letting it all out, and getting help.

However all of these drugs do take a number of weeks to properly (medically) take effect. Quite often then you get that mental boost to start with, this wears off and then you will be feeling the side effects as the medication takes hold. These side effects can make you feel quite rough for a short while, but stick with it. These will gradually wear off then the medication will start to work properly

Remember too that what you are feeling can just be the side effects from your new medication - don't panic that you might be getting worse. I see so many times people posting in utter panic that they're getting worse not better, but in reality it's just the new medication getting into their systems and it WILL pass.

Speak to your GP before changing your dose.

Thanks Ingenious, I would never change my dosage without consulting a dr, I think I'd like to be on them for at least 2-3 weeks before upping to 30mg if I can.

The good thing so far since I've had this nose dive is that I haven't had a full blown panic attack, just always feel on the edge of one, so hopefully it won't go back to me having massive panic attacks every day. I am really pushing myself to "feel the fear and do it anyway", picking my daughter up from school was REALLY hard, but I did it and survived.

My biggest issue is my anxiety makes me feel sick constantly and I have a fear of throwing up, so getting out of the house can sometimes be really difficult, but I'm doing my best to get out to things I need to go to. I have a dentist appt at 11.30 tomorrow, that will be really hard as I am so scared of having an attack, but I am going to do my best to get there as I cancelled the last appt because I had a PA .

I am hoping this med will work for me, I'm in it for the long haul as I refuse to give up!!!

Like others have said Rocklover, give the medication time. If you read the leaflet or Wikipedia, Mirtazapine IS NOT an SSRI and it also does take effect quicker than other anti-d's. However, although it is quicker than other drugs, it still states MINIMUM of 2 weeks to 6 weeks.

In my case, around 4 weeks until I started feeling "normal" and calm.

I know it's difficult but paitence is key when starting a new anti-depressant.

Good luck with it all

Thanks Mono, I am trying to just take each day as it comes, but today has been awful. I had a dentist appt to meet the new dentist and for her to look at my tooth that needs a root canal, I got myself into such a state that I have been in a massive panic attack for much of the day.

The good thing is I told the dentist about my anxiety caused by my postnatal depression and she said even though a small part of the the tooth has come away, the temporary filling is holding up well and I can leave it until I am feeling better to have the work done. That is one weight off my mind.

But I have had to ask my partner to pick up my daughter from school as I am still in panic mode now, so I feel like I have failed a bit.

I am determined to get through this, I have beaten anxiety once before and I intend to do it again even though it is more severe than last time. I can't wait for the Mirt to start working.

Hang in there rocklover and don't be hard on yourself - you've done really well. Going to a dentist is never easy, on top of that you're starting a new medication and having side effects AND on top of that you have a family to look after. It's also very significant you post about your determination to get through it - that's the sign of a fighter. One day at a time...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information