Thread: Cit 2 Mirt

Smile Cit 2 Mirt

I thought I'd start a new thread here. I'm currently blogging my journey with citalopram in the cit thread. After 3 months on cit going up to 40mg I was struggling. The doctor recommended reducing my cit to 20mg and taking 15mg of mirtazapine. Within days I was feeling much better and sleeping well, after two years of struggling with insomnia. The only side effect I get from this combination is increased appetite and sedation at night (which is a good thing!).

Now after 10 weeks of taking mirtazapine the increased appetite has eased off. I'm still sleeping well every night and have very little anxiety.

This combination works well because the mirt counters the insomnia side effect of cit. Cit being selective for serotonin can lead to a reduction in the production of noradrenalin the mirt corrects this imbalance. Mirt can also reduce the sexual side effects of cit although this has not been a problem for me.

Re: Cit 2 Mirt

Hello iam also on this combinaion have been for 6 months 15mg mirt 20mg cit has helped me sleep.anxiety gone and strangely enough is helping my hayfever this year...only thing is at the mo i accidently missed 2 doses at the weekend sat night n sunday night and restarted monday night but ive felt nausea since so i dont know if this is related???

Quote Originally Posted by SW View Post
    strangely enough is helping my hayfever this year...
    Likewise, though in my case I switched completely from Citalopram over to Mirtazapine, but my hayfever has also been cured. When I say "cured" I mean I no longer have hayfever nor have to take any hayfever medications. Usually I have to take a tablet and a nasal spray and that still only controls my hayfever, it doesn't cure it. I think for this reason alone I'll probably stay on Mirtazapine for a very, very long time

there must be Anti-Histamine properties in the tablets x
    Last edited by SW; 07-07-11 at 10:13.

I had no hayfever this summer either

The weird thing is the Mirtazapine does a far, far better job for me curing my hayfever than any antihistamine designed for the purpose did! It's more like I'm taking a hayfever cure whose side effect is antidepressant!

Me too Ingenious!!

Just to end this thread.

I took 15mg of Mirt for 10 months. The drug helped me sleep well after 2 years of insomnia, and helped stabilise my anxiety. Combined with CBT I am now pretty much recovered.

Coming off Mirt took about 2 weeks at half dose before stop. I had a few nights of re-bound insomnia and no other withdrawal effects. Now 3 months after stopping I still feel fine.

Hello Oldtime,
    really glad to hear you're doing well now!

I've just started on duloxetine after coming off the mirtazapine (which did something for my anxiety, just nowhere near enough).

What I am already missing is mirt's wonderful sleep-assistance! I've had to ask the doctor for some zopiclone to help with the insomnia I'm getting from the duloxetine (hopefully it'll turn out be a start-up effect).

Ideally, I'd like to continue with a small dose of mirtazapine alongside the duloxetine, purely to aid sleep. If only GPs were more willing to prescribe such a combination! I have found someone on this forum on the combination and they seem to be doing well - they had it prescribed by a psychiatrist however.

Anyhow, thanks for starting this thread and keeping it up to date,

MrRed.

"What you resist, persists." - C. G. Jung

Quote Originally Posted by oldtime View Post
    Just to end this thread.

I took 15mg of Mirt for 10 months. The drug helped me sleep well after 2 years of insomnia, and helped stabilise my anxiety. Combined with CBT I am now pretty much recovered.

Coming off Mirt took about 2 weeks at half dose before stop. I had a few nights of re-bound insomnia and no other withdrawal effects. Now 3 months after stopping I still feel fine.
    It's great when people come on to post about their recovery - it gives others hope that life can get better with the help of therapy, medication and sometimes changes in life circumstances. Also very helpful to know that your withdrawal after 10 months was not too painful.

May you have many contented days in the future

Belle x

Thread Information