Thread: anxiety symptoms

Arrow anxiety symptoms

Hi!

I thought I'd post about my own craziness and see what you guys have to say, I suppose I've been more of a lurker than poster over the years on NMP... so here goes... I'm 33, very overweight, male and unfit (although I've been trying to change that lately!).

Many years ago I started having panic attacks over an obsession with my heart - at the time I was having random pain in my chest, I started getting the odd heart palp too which of course made things 10 x worse. My panic attacks were mainly feeling faint and unable to breath which became almost impossible to breath combined with wanting to hide away (flight).

I eventually started to get to the point where I didn't want to leave the house, I was going to the doctors who initially said it was all anxiety and to try and deal with it (which is great advice just hard to do).

I was evenly put on Propanolol which did seem to make a difference however left me feeling tired all the time and I still got the odd palp, I also found out about a year ago I had a stomach ulcer and the H. pylori (which I now wonder if this could have been the pain I originally had all those years ago? who knows!).

I came off propanolol about a year ago and I've felt better for it overall, how over the last 6 months or so and particularly lately I've been having regular palp attacks and mild breathing difficulties - I just kinda feel lost in all this it has complete control of my life - even without the palps I've had an almost continual light breathing difficulty, my quality of life is pretty poor at the moment.

I've had ECGs, blood tests, blood pressure checks and the test where they scan your heart with the ultra sound machine - which all came back clear etc however I'm getting the 24 hour monitor later this month.

The symptoms seem to be getting worse, I have a foggy feeling at the edge of my vision, I get regular small / jumpy palps then large more scary palps! I have been exercising more lately (swimming 3/4 times per week) however I am now afraid to exercise and I even sometimes think my symptoms get worse when I don't eat (asin if I have an empty tummy)!

Part of me is wants to believe it's all anxiety related and on the other hand it's something more serious and the doctors just haven't found out what yet.

To round up my current symptoms;

- Regular small jumpy pals felt at the back of my throat and top of my tummy
    - Larger more scary palps
    - Breathlessness
    - Foggy at the edge of my vision
    - Unable to concentrate / foggy mind

My Craziness?!

These are some of the things I've either thought or convinced myself of;

I stopped brushing my teeth as I start to think tooth paste caused palps.
    I drunk alcohol more to relax myself (regularly each evening).
    I eat the same foods everyday.
    I wondered if my posture was causing the palps.
    I thought spicy food cause the palps.

Has anyone got a similar story or any advice - all is welcome!

Chris

Re: anxiety symptoms

Hi Chris, welcome
    I too have Palps, it really really scares me, i get them when i am usually over warm, how about you?
    When i get one i get freaked out and just want to be left alone, had a few ECG'S and theyve come back fine, ive been obseessed with my heart too, if i get a pain in my chest think im dying, i know it sounds silly but thats just how ive always been.

Take care
    Charmaine

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear that you're suffering like this - as I'm sure you know, there are a lot of long-term anxiety sufferers on this site, for all sorts of reasons.

A few things I've discovered over the years:

* Anxiety definitely, definitely will make palpitations worse, although some people are just prone to them
    * a large number of visual symptoms are associated with anxiety; I've had blurred vision, odd things I can only describe as "shooting stars" and floaters
    * lack of concentration is classic - for a lot of people, it's one of the first symptoms
    * if you're worried about your heart, keeping your teeth clean is an absolute must! There's been lost of research done on the links between the bacteria in our mouths and certain heart problems
    * alcohol is fine in small quantities as a temporary relaxant, but for loads of us, it will make anxiety worse the following day and can actually case palpitations
    * you need magnesium and potassium in your diet to help look after your heart - eating the same foods every day might not help this. I've found that eating a banana every day has helped my palpitations (they contain both magnesium and potassium)
    * spicy foods can cause palpitations in some people - as can over-eating, particularly if you have loads of fatty foods

hope these help!

Thanks for the replies! I'll to take all the advice on board!

Thread Information