Thread: Liposuction on the NHS - weight affecting mental health.

Liposuction on the NHS - weight affecting mental health.

So, when I was 12 my father killed himself and I became clinically depressed, and gained a lot of weight.

I am 17 now, and I weigh 21st. I have recovered from depression and have rebuilt my life - but I cannot shift the weight. I have weighed the same - with no fluctuation despite exercise since my depression.

I am healthy, and exercise - but I just cannot shift the weight.

Recently i have been going to a cognitive behavioural therapist because I have developed serious social and health anxiety, and she fears I may be slipping back into depression. Through our sessions, we have basically narrowed down the origin of these problems to my weight.

I explained to her that despite the exercise and diet I force myself to do, I simply remain the same weight. She is working out a diet plan and is still doing the CBT work with me, but she has told me that the way I look, and the way I feel about myself is almost certainly the cause of my recent mental health problems.

Now, I know that the NHS doesn't pay for liposuction unless it is causing the individual serious health/mental issues. I think I can be put in this category, as my weight is still affecting me after numerous attempts to shift it and my healthy lifestyle, it is obviously affecting my mental wellbeing - as it gives me a poor self image, which makes me feel like I will never accomplish anything in life or find love, which gives me (even though i'm ashamed to admit it) thoughts of self harm and suicide. It also exacerbates my health anxiety, and my social anxiety - as I feel like people are constantly staring at my male breasts and laughing at me behind my back.

Could anybody give me some insight as to whether I could request liposuction on the NHS with this defence, and the backing of my CB Therapist? Would it be at all possible?

Re: Liposuction on the NHS - weight affecting mental health.

The NHS will not pay for surgery for cosmetic reasons alone. To receive cosmetic surgery from the NHS, you will normally need a referral from your GP. You will have to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon and an assessment by a psychiatrist or psychologist. They will decide whether there is enough social, psychological or physical benefit to justify surgery.
    This decision is usually made at a meeting by a panel run by your Primary Care Trust (PCT), which will assess your case on an individual basis.
    Not sure if this is any help: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Liposuc...roduction.aspx

Seems like you might have a good chance.

Have you had all the medical tests to rule out genetic factors and medical reasons?
    A very small amount of people do indeed have medical reasons for their weight.

If you are honestly eating less than so many calories (you can find out on line based on your weight , how much you should be consuming in order to loose weight)
    you really should be losing weight.
    In that case I would be more concerned of trying to get to the bottom of it before trying for the liposuction.

but no harm in ringing up the NHS and asking

I forgot to add that a lot of medication including antidepressants can cause weight gain, I have a friend that went from a size 8 to about a size 14 in a short period of time due her meds.

hello
    i can really empathize with you, i too have this problem.
    Im on a diet, i cut out 300/400 calories from my daily intake now and i exercise (20-30 mins cardio - basically start doing little amounts, then build it up or youll make yourself ill as i found out because im unfit) i slowly noticed the weight starting to fall off, 2lbs a week mostly, sometimes nothing, but its the personal achievement of loosing the weight that gives you the boost to your confidence and life in general.

Honest opinion? your age is to blame for not loosing the weight just now, your metablism is all over the place and your body isnt fully developed. keep on trying!
    x

Thread Information