Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great to find this site

Great to find this site

Hi there

What a great site. I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for approx 10 years now (with periods of no anxiety inbetween for maybe a year at a time), but find myself in a bad patch right now. I have symptoms of agoraphobia and find it very hard to leave the house as I feel I will go dizzy, faint and also I feel "spaced out". I've read a brilliant book by Howard Liebgold called Freedom from Fear that I would recommend to anybody and have just sent for the self help for your nerves book I've seen recommended on this site. I have been struggling to get to work and have been going through a period of getting lots of small viruses and then that means I'm stuck in the house and then the agoraphobia starts again, so I'm currently under sick review.

My current dilemma is wondering whether to carry on trying to help myself with goal setting (I managed to take my son to a local Macdonalds today for tea), or whether to maybe try hypnotherapy to see if this could help me as I constantly feel "ill" and know I can't possibly be, it has to be the anxiety.

I'm reluctant to take medication, as although I've successfully used an SSRI in the past, some days I'm worse than others and I didn't enjoy the side effects (night sweats) etc that they gave me. Also I don't feel as bad as I did back when I took them before.

I'd love to hear from other members with any advice.

xx

Hi there Andiemichele - I know how scary it is - I am like you - had panic attacks 22 years ago but in the last year they have come back. I get breathless, dizzy and hot and feel spaced out - I try not to run away when I feel like this but the weird spacey feeling is horrible.
    I havent tried hypnotherapy but I do use this website every day as it encourages me and makes me realise that a HUGE portion of the population have anxiety - WE ARE NOT ALONE - from teenagers to oldies like myself (46) its what makes us human - emotions - and we manage them as best we can - hang on in there and be brave - we are all here for you.
    Love Wenjoy x

Hi there and welcome.

I, like you, have had anxietyfor some 12 years and have been virtually anxiety free for, sometimes, years at a time and also am not keen on taking meds, which I believe are a short term solution to along term problem (although, I understand that they are 100% necessary for some).

You'll find plenty of support here.

Shiv x

Hiya,

Welcome to the forum, you wil get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi there Andie

Welcome to the site, you will find everyone very friendly and helpful. You sound as though you are doing fine and have the right attitude to recovery - its a good idea to set yourself goals and take them further each time.

Do you have support from your doctor? Perhaps CBT would be beneficial?

Love Pinky

Hi
    I was diagnosed with panic disorder years ago and have had a pretty good period without having any anxiety (well not much!!) But i've found now thats its come back with a vengance (don't know why), which is why i use this site everyone is so kind and helpful and i'm sure you'll find it a big help. I too won't take medication because of the side effects and am making myself go out , scary but i'm determined to do it, even though i'm dizzy and my legs feel like jelly!! I have to do it for my kids. Although a trip out to a busy shopping centre is'nt on my list quite yet!!!!!!!!!

Hi & Welcome,

Ive suffered from PTSD, Panic/Anxiety disorder & slight agoraphobia for nearly 5 years now. Was starting to make some progress but have slightly relapsed over the last couple of weeks.

I did try hypnotherapy - but found it didnt really do alot for me but I'd say, definitely give it a try because for some people it works & failing that, it did help me relax and chill out.

Havent tried any medication & the only thing I'm doing now is goal setting and making myself go out. Ive also been reading the Paul McKenna books which have really helped.

You'll find all the infomation you need & the support here.

Take Care

Vickie x

Thanks for all your posts. I've had a mixed couple of days, was supposed to be going to cinema last night with friend but I just couldn't do it, but managed to sit and chat to friend in cinema bar for 1 1/2 hours ??!!! Today managed to get to see my friend's new baby which was great.

Just knowing there are people who understand is so helpful and I know I'll use this site a lot.

Andiemichelle xx

Hi Andimichelle

Welcome to the forum from another agoraphobic.

You will find some really good help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Hi Andimichelle

Welcome to the forum. I've had hypnotherapy for social anxiety and found it very helpful so I would definitely recommend it. CBT is also a recommended treatment.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps

Symptoms

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information