Thread: Review of CBT

Review of CBT

After studying CBT for a long time I can see how it works but occasionally I find it a little patronising as if it is saying to all those individuals who have endured anxiety for decades that it is only thoughts, you only need to catch em, check em and accept the sensations and all will be well in the end. I still feel it is more complex than this.
    Also there can be underlying illnesses that need to be recognised that aren’t anxiety and anxiety isn’t good for you as CBT almost seems to say; many years of anxiety and heightened blood pressure is bad for you!
    The main theory I believe in but I would venture that anxiety and the related disorders are much more complicated and related to all sorts of incidents and emotions of the past. CBT doesn't always allow for this.

Re: Review of CBT

I suffered ( and i mean suffered) with acute anxiety and panics for 12 yrs .
    I was agoraphobic and had no quality of life . I had tried everything from meditation to faith healing to get some relief.......nothing worked however hard i tried . I was lucky enough to have CBT .......and its as though the last 12 years didnt exist, I had an excellent therapist ( i had to change the original one after 2 sessions because I was counselling her ! ).I can now do what i want when i want . It takes a lot of effort to go through the CBT programme but , for me, it was well worth it ,I am now taking part in a CBT study at manchester uni . I couldnt be more grateful for the opportunity to have had this therapy . .....good luck

Thread Information