Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regulary missed beats every 4-5 beats, for hours at a time. Some discomfort.

Regulary missed beats every 4-5 beats, for hours at a time. Some discomfort.

I wondered if anybody had anything similar.

Last Friday watching TV at 8pm my chest felt a little funny, occasionally, and checking my pulse it skipped a beat every 5 to 7 beats. It's the skip that gives me the funny feeling in the chest. Similar to indigestion and a lsight loss of breath I think when the missed beat occurs.

It carried on all night and the next morning until around 10am - rather scary. Strangely, I went to the gym and the increased heartrate seemed to kick things back in to normal.

Until today (Tuesday) 2pm at my office the same happened again, probably more skipped beats than before, and is still here at 10pm.

ECG showed definite missed beats (average every 4 -5 beats) - chest xray okay. The Dr does not know why this it. He did not think it as simply as anxiety.

My chest constantly feels "strange". I can feel the missed beats I think, discomfort in the chest/upper throat area, and kind of have to catch my breath a little when the beats are missed.

I'm 37 and thought I was rather fit!

It this common or does the number fo my missed beats put me in to medical territory....

Thank you for your time

Re: Regulary missed beats every 4-5 beats, for hours at a time. Some discomfort.

Hey Dystran

Im 22 years old and I suffered exactly the same when I was at college but and a big BUT my skipped beats occured every 2 or 3 beats and lasted the whole day until I fell asleep and woke it went. I also have it on and off maybe once or twice a week I have anxiety which explains it and since you joined this forum I think you may have anxiety and its good you visited the doctor ask him for more tests thats what I did and it showed no abnormal issues in the end you will find these beats are not dangerous

best of luck

Re: Regulary missed beats every 4-5 beats, for hours at a time. Some discomfort.

I have had that every 3rd beat for hours. Not often but when it happens its pretty scary.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Hey guys

I suffer from Health Anxiety and palpitations are one of my biggest problems.

I was prescribed Citaprolam (20mg) in May 2011 and even though the first couple of weeks were hairy, I persevered and things died down, including my palps!

That was until last Sunday night; I was at the cinema and felt really warm. I was fidgety and just could not get comfy. I checked my pulse (and I know I shouldn't have done it.) Two hours later, there were the palps, coming every few minutes - a huge thud in my chest.

I have had them everyday since Sunday although yesterday and today are not so bad (touch wood.) My GP has upped my Citalopram to 30mg so I'm hoping that'll see the palps off.

Palps are a common problem for people suffering from anxiety. We just need to keep convincing ourselves that everything's ok, the doctors know more than we do. They wouldn't send us away from the surgeries/clinics/hospitals if we were really unwell.

Hope you're all having a good day!

LJ

Yep it's anxiety allright. I get the same thing, Do Not TAKE YOUR PULSE. lol easy to say I know but it only makes you worse.
    Feel better soon
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabelle View Post
    Yep it's anxiety allright. I get the same thing, Do Not TAKE YOUR PULSE. lol easy to say I know but it only makes you worse.
    Feel better soon
    x
    You are so right with that advice. I wish that I remembered that (and applied) it when I got too obsessed with my blood pressure.

Also unless your doctor feels that you have a genuine need do not buy any home testing units - the use of those things just end up spiralling my anxiety way out of control.!!!

yes i have had the same skipped beats every second and third beat for hours and hours. it was sooo scarey. i thought i was dying for sure. went to the doc and it turns out to be anxiety. the hard part is not letting them bother you and just get on with things. its hard i know ive been there. but since ive stopped letting them bother me . they are not as frequent. belive me they will go. hope this helps
    love debera

Some call them skipped beats some say its' like a flutter, but I've had them and very uncomfortable at times. What helps me is if it happens I do breathing exercises right away, and usually they will clear up in about 10 minutes or less...you have to get the heart back into its normal rythm...

@Dystran: Normally I don't get them as frequently as that, but for the last few days (minus one wonderful day of almost none) they can come 8-10 times a minute, really unnerving! I think maybe what happens is when they start getting noticeable and slightly more frequent I focus on them, release adrenalin and there you go. I just recently had blood work, a Holter and an echo, so waiting to hear from that. I may just try Zoloft, or another SSRI, to refocus my energy.
    Tell your doctor you'd like to do a Holter. it is a pain, but it's only for 24 hours, and do it over a weekend or take a day off, you don't want to deal with it at work.

@Debera: do you get yours every day regardless of their frequency?

@Nicholas: You must not get them so severaly. What kind of breathing exercises?

I have this!! Oh, I'm so glad to know that it's anxiety related! Makes me feel 10 times better already!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information