Page 88 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram side effects?

Re: Citalopram side effects?

I have been on citalopram now for 4 weeks however I started olazapine last friday and between the two of them i have started to feel almost normal again. I was worried about the olazapine but I think my concerns are unfounded at present, Stick with the citalopram. it does work but the first few weeks were so unreal and unpleasant.

Anyone else on a combo of Ctaloprim 20mg and Olazapine 5mg? wI would like to hear how it helped affected you

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    Maybe start on 10mg for a week, and then move up to 20mg.
    Once your body is tolerating citalopram, the side effects from moving up a dose are generally much less.
    I appreciate you're advice but I'm really not up to taking anything other than the dose the doctor told me to. I don't like toying with meds I've never taken before! That way when I go back in fortnight I can tell her exactly what has gone on. I took my first 20mg about three hours ago. All I've noticed is I've very slowed down and feel so, so sick it's horrible. But that's it. No panic, no scary stuff, so far. I even feel like I'll have a good night's sleep tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    I appreciate you're advice but I'm really not up to taking anything other than the dose the doctor told me to. I don't like toying with meds I've never taken before! That way when I go back in fortnight I can tell her exactly what has gone on. I took my first 20mg about three hours ago. All I've noticed is I've very slowed down and feel so, so sick it's horrible. But that's it. No panic, no scary stuff, so far. I even feel like I'll have a good night's sleep tonight.

I take mine 3-4 hours before I plan to go to sleep. It has worked well so far, and I have woken up feeling good.

However, I am looking to change to mornings soon, as I have not had any bad side-effects so far.

im about to start on this tomorrow on 20mg, slightly worried now ive read everyone's experiences, but im going to stick to it, it has to be worth it long term. will let you all know how i get on.

So far the only side effects I've had are nausea, serious loss of appetite (but not from lack of being hungry, it's weird!), feeling "zoned out" (which to be honest is a blessing) and a really funny teeth chattering type thing, that I just think is as a result of biting too hard (that I usually do when I'm stressed anyway.)

What I noticed the most, is that the side effects really hit me kapow about an hour after taking it but then they get better/easier to ignore. The worst is the nausea. That just stays the same.

To be honest, I'd take note of what everyone else has felt with it, so you can recognise anything odd as a side effect and not panic then ignore it. Everyone reacts to drugs differently. You won't know how you react until you take it yourself.

I took my first one at lunch time, so I'd be "more aware" of side effects and be "in control". I figured if I took it before bed and had weird reactions in the night it would freak me out too much. The sooner you start your course, the sooner the "bad bits" will be out of the way.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MeHere View Post
    I take mine 3-4 hours before I plan to go to sleep. It has worked well so far, and I have woken up feeling good.

However, I am looking to change to mornings soon, as I have not had any bad side-effects so far.
    i have just been prescribed 2omg doctor told me to take in morning because they keep u awake at night but i took my first yesterday and slept all day

day one and i havent really had any side effects, thats gotta be a good thing!

Why is this whole thread virtually negative side effects, can we hear from people who it has worked for a bit more please?!

Hi Kirsty
    There are a lot of negative posts about citalopram on the site but there are also a lot of positive posts too.
    I think most people give up on medication too early, don't take them properly, drink alcohol whilst on them, and thats why they never find out what good the tablets eventually do. It does take time but if you persevere they are well worth any side effect in my opinion, and they also work well alongside counselling and self help.
    I have been on citalopram since early this year and now on 40mg. It has really helped me and I am a different person to the one I was this time last year. I hardly experience anxiety anymore and I feel so much better, apart from the agoraphobia which Citalopram does not get rid of, but I am much better with that too. I had suffered a breakdown a year ago and was in a very bad state with anxiety.
    I went through the bad side effects and they began to go after 2 months and now I don't get any apart from sleepiness, which I can deal with. I found if I take the medication with food, I didn't suffer too much with nausea and an upset stomach.
    The longer you are on Citalopram the less the side effects are and gradually they go I have found.
    It does take time to kick in and work and most people go through some rough times to begin with, but if you can keep going and get through them, and come out the other side, I can honestly say they are worth sticking with and not giving up on them. I would go through the side effects ten times over to get to where I am now and how good I am now feeling.
    I wish I had took the medication long before I did, (I was very anti medication) as it has been so beneficial to me.
    I hope the citalopram works for you!
    I sound like an advert for Citalopram don't I? lol
    Last edited by PoppyC; 26-11-09 at 17:51.

thanks poppyC. So its 2 two on 20mg and i didnt manage to eat yesterday, i dont know if that was the citalopram or me, but i just couldnt eat. I also got virtually no sleep last night because of the anxiety and am really strugging today to find any motivation to do anything. Unfortunately while on this i also have to work as the doctor wouldnt sign me off...is anyone else still working while on at the beginning?

Hi Kirsty,

I had no choice but to work at the same time, and I know what hell it can be. I used to pop off the bathroom periodically for 10 minutes of quite time, deep breathing and a bit of mdeitation. I didn't eat fro three days straight and was continually exhausted.
    Just keep going because it does get better.

Page 88 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread Information