310 34.41%
  • never

18 2.00%
  • what are they

8 0.89%
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: how many of us get funny heart beats

Re: how many of us get funny heart beats

Been getting palpitations/irregular heartbeats/missed beats for 4 years now (before that only once in a blue moon!). Started after a really bad period in my life but didn't see the connection for a while and still not convinced there isn't anything seriously wrong with me of course as I am a 'glass half empty' type of person! Had numerous 24 and 48 hour monitors, an echocardigram and seen cardiologist (although not for 3 years now). My worries are increased by the fact that my mother has AF and regularly has to go through cardio aversion (although she is almost 75 and has lived with it for well over 40 years), and at my worst I convince myself that I will end up like her. I can have periods where I have them all day every day for weeks and months or just once or twice a week. They can definately start when stressed but in contradiction I have had some very stressful events and no palps! Sometimes I get them after eating a meal and sometimes I think they may be a hormonal connection. On the advice of the cardiologist I eat at least one banana a day and GP suggetsed a magnesioum supplement. Can't really say if either of these has helped but won't stop taking them just in case! They scare the hell out of me and as soon as I get them I go into a depression. Finding this site has helped and I regularly read the posts to gain reassurance. I have asked for advice a few times but don't get any replies - perhaps I don't post them in the right place. I have just had a 'flutter' and you can probably tell from the length of my ramblings that I am trying to get something off my chest, so to speak! If you are still reading, I apologise

Check out my thread on WATER WATER/

I was really stunned when my GP said palpitations are really common and nothing to worry about. I was thinking how come I managed a few decades without feeling or knowing about them, and suddenly I am getting them most days since I got poorly/anxious. So I am trying to be kind to myself and have given up my beloved chocolate, caffeine and alcohol. And am trying to drink more water and learning how to relax properly. What scares me more than a palp. is a racing heart. I'm on a low dose of Propranolol and still get the occassional palp but I tend to acknowledge it and ignore them now.

I can't even count how many ectopics a day I get. I have had them constantly for over eighteen months. I have been told that I am missing every tenth beat. When I went to the GP originally, I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. I was glad there was a reason for my condition, because it was making me weak and dizzy. However, after treatment and becoming hypothyroid, I still had ectopics. My thyroid medication is now balanced and yet I still have ectopics. I have a fluttering in my chest all day everyday. I find it difficult to walk and talk at the same time in complete sentences. I am especially weak and dizzy in the mornings, when I tend to be clumsy and have lots of accidents. I am not anxious, just very sad that my quality of life is so poor. A life I fought hard to keep, since I beat cancer four years ago. The last thing I want to do is waste time obsessing about my health so i try so hard to ignore it.
    I feel trapped in my own body.

About 2 years ago I was told I have atrial ectopic beats but that it was nothing to worry about and actually quite common. The seemed to happen every day which totally freaked me out but then one day, out of the blue, they just went away. I wonder if I just blocked it out or if they actually stopped.

But in the last 6 months, they've come back so I did another holter monitor and again was told I have atrial ectopic beats and that they're are nothing to worry about. I find that so hard to believe because they are so uncomfortable! Naturally, anything to do with heart is scary. I feel trapped in my body sometimes.

I am always on edge waiting for them to strike again and when I decide to relax and stop worrying, they get worse. Sometimes they wake me in my sleep. I wonder if they are triggered from adrenaline because I think my body is in a constant state of adrenal exhaustion.

It really irks me. I can't ever imagine being ok with them. They're happening daily. They make me very uncomfortable and I find myself avoiding social events because I'm petrified that I'm going to have a heart attack or seizure. Very depressing : (

I've started seeing a therapist who is also a GP though so I'm hoping she will help educate me as to what's going on. I often make the mistake of googling symptoms which is a big mistake!

I read an article on this site about palpitations which I revisit all the time for reassurance. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

Hope this helps. Thanks for listening x

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac rose View Post
    I find it difficult to walk and talk at the same time in complete sentences.
    I'm the same as you Lilac rose, although I didn't realise it might be to do with the ectopics. I find it difficult to risk laughing, or talking while walking or eating. Mainly because I am feeling breathless, do you get this ? It sometimes feels like my chest/lungs are restricted and I can't manage more than to whisper a single word let alone a complete sentence out. My GP has not really said why this is happening or what is going on. I mentioned how scary it is though. I just assumed it was GERD related.

I found out last week that there had been an error and that the cardio should have contacted me following my 24 hr halter. I have four different types of abnormal heart rythmn and have been referred back to cardio. My case is definitely not anxiety. I am on a low dose of bisoprolol while waiting. Within hours of taking this medication my face slimmed and my eyes became whiter. I don't want to discuss it here too much because I think my case is unusual and I dont want to fuel anyone's anxieties. I must stress how very poorly I was. I haven't worked for months and have felt as though I was fighting off general anasthetic for eighteen months. ALL THE TIME. I do not suffer from any anxiety related illnesses. My symptoms were mistaken for treatment I had for Graves disease, which my GP now acknowledges. My advice is to get your symptoms checked and then trust your doctors and try to trust and enjoy life.

Really sorry to hear this Lilac rose. I've never been thoroughly checked out, as they assume it is to do with other issues they know about.

I understand your reasons for not discussing further. I hope you can get some sort of normality and comfort back into your life with the right help/care.

Thanks little miss sleepy. Im sure I will be fine in time. I hope you get some relief from your symptoms too. It's hard to keep calm when your heart is racing, I know. If all your symptoms are checked and nothing abnormal is found, may I suggest pranayama breathing, it is wonderfully relaxing and strengthening and you can download apps to help you learn how to do it.

I get loads of them too, horrible. Sometimes really violent, as if my heart is jumping all over my chest. Holter monitor and echogram says all is normal - makes no sense! Am slowly starting to come to terms with it - though still hate it when it happens! Been going on for 20+ years, not killed me yet! Have you looked at the Heart Palpitations Forum? So helpful, I couldn't have managed without it!

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread Information