310 34.41%
  • never

18 2.00%
  • what are they

8 0.89%
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: how many of us get funny heart beats

Re: how many of us get funny heart beats

Just to reassure people, everything I have read suggests that ectopics are very common and usually benign. The benign type are easy to identify on an ecg monitor and they do not lead to heart disease or other cardiac arrythmias. Best thing is to get yourself thoroughly checked out, try to identify what triggers them if anything, and then try to relax as stress makes them worse.

I may have them for some days, then they stop.

how many people experience ectopics every 2nd or 3rd beat?

Hi everyone,

I'm an occasional sufferer of an irregular heart rhythm. Having read many posts on this forum, I count myself lucky that my symptoms aren't as acute as others. Nonetheless, they can still be a real nuisance.

Back in February of this year I began experiencing heart palpitations. They appeared one evening whilst I was laying in bed and since then have re-appeared at various points throughout the year, albeit with several weeks between episodes. Currently I'm going through a period where the palpitations are quite persistent (several days in a row), which is the worst they've been since it started.

The palpitations usually present themselves as a flutter of 3-10 extra beats, which can occur either randomly or at more regular intervals. Certain actions can aggravate them; for example, I find taking a deep breath often triggers a flutter, and laying down (especially left side) can set them off. But in general they come and go as they please.

I've managed to rule out alcohol & caffeine as catalysts. I don't consider myself to be prone to anxiety either, but I guess we all wrestle internally with certain issues, even if we don't feel stressed by them at a conscious level.

Like many other sufferers, I find an irregular heartbeat very intrusive in day-to-day activities, especially when trying to sleep; I'm a light sleeper anyway, so it doesn't take much to disturb me. I often find assuming an upright sitting position helps ease the palpitations, although I'm rarely able to sleep like that, so getting settled can be a tedious process.

During the day I find activity helps keep my mind off the fluttering sensation. Hard exercise doesn't seem to be a problem; in fact getting my heart rate up helps establish a regular rhythm. But generally moving around or bending over can aggravate the problem.

My GP doesn't seem overly concerned following initial consultation - needless to say, the palps weren't present when I went to see him! I'm about to have some tests done (ECG and blood test), and with no other symptoms to speak of (shortness of breath, dizziness etc) I'm reasonably optimistic that it's nothing serious. But for now I just need to go through the motions and await the outcome.

Anyway, sorry for the huge post! My sympathies to all who suffer this annoying condition. It's a hugely frustrating thing to live with but it definitely helps to hear other people's stories, and to share your own experiences with people who understand.

Hi Jodie, Yes i get fluttering/skipped/racing beats everyday. Even if im feeling ok, and less anxious. It is scary and not nice to experience. Hope your ok though!

Red face Re: how many of us get funny heart beats

hello jodie. i get those heart nasty sensations sumtimes. especialy wen i av a virus. but i do get them. they r scary. makes u feel panicky.

Iv`e had the occasional ectopic beat since I was 15, but about 15 years ago they became more frequent until one day I was having so many that I panicked & went to A&e. They put me on an ecg machine but found nothing wrong. Iv`e since had various tests including a 24 hour ecg, & then I was told that I had a benign condition called 1st degree heart block, which is common in athletes & people who are very fit. I was told that I don`t need any treatment because it can`t do me any harm. I only hope that theyr`e right.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread Information