Thread: Question Norethisterone calf cramps?

Question Norethisterone calf cramps?

Hi I was prescribed Norethisterone 5mg 3 x a day as I am going on holiday next week and my period is right in the middle of it! So I started taking it yesterday, and today I've got what appears to be muscle ache in my left calf. I only worry because of DVT and not 100% sure of the risk factor, and if I am at risk at all considering I've only taken it now for 2 days. I have quite an active life and walk everywhere, hence I'm thinking it might be muscular.

I don't smoke and have limited intake of alcohol, i'm not over weight or have a family history of blood clots.

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Question Norethisterone calf cramps?

Mmmm - synthetic progesterone does have a long list of possible side effects so personally I would not take it unless no alternative BUT its what to do now- it is probably coincidence that you have calf pain but if you can I would see a Dr before you go on holiday just to be totally sure and do you really really need to take this drug????

Thanks countrygirl for ur post, I have spoken to my doctor and he has said that it is fine for me to carry on taking the medication. Its more than likely to be muscular. I'm taking this as I really don't want a period right in the middle of my holiday, my periods are heavy and I suffer with them, hence why i'm taking this. I'll see how I go over the next few days, I can always call my doctor again if the problem gets any worse. Thanks for ur response

Glad you have spoken to your Dr hopefully this has put your mind at rest. Sorry your suffer so much with your periods that explains why you don't want one on your holiday. Did the Dr explain that when you stop the tablets your next period could be much heavier than usual??

This is something I have been worrying about, because I have OCD and have issues using public restrooms, I am also going on holiday next month and I think I will have my period (also very heavy and crampy) right when I should be returning on the flight and was looking at something that could postpone it a week. My question is, I am 40 and still want to have children (personal/relationship reasons postponed this, not personal choice), but I am hoping to start trying in the next 6 months. Could taking the progesterone mess up fertility if I only do it once?

Synthetic progesterone is used as a contraceptive as in the mini pill as its called so yes it will stop you conceiving while you take it and could take a bit of time to get out of your system afterwards but only a Dr could tell you if that is days or weeks, sorry I don't know the details.

Personally given your age and the fact you want to start a family very soon I would not take it just in case but thats only my opinion

Yes my doctor did tell me that my periods would probably be nasty when I stop taking it, I'll be taking it for 12 days, pains have all settled down now my doctor told me that generally women who take this medication don't have any major problems with it and is trouble free, the only downside is a little water retention and heavy period afterwards, but NOT to have a period right in the middle of my holiday is fantastic. Also like to mention that its NOT a contraceptive and extra precaution is needed.
    @ Rachel W I would speak to ur doctor about taking it, i'm in the same situation that i want to start a family and have been off the pill now for 9 months, I don't think it messes up things badly but it would be a good idea to talk with ur GP. I think ur body needs a regular cycle and maybe this medication can throw it off a bit. However I think it would only be temporary.

I realise the dose you are on is not the contraception dose but is the same drug. AS you say Rachel needs to talk to her Dr about taking it if she wants to conceive very quickly just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with the period afterwards and hope you have a lovely holiday.

I took it years ago, and I had a lighter period with it. Did have a bit of water retention though

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information