Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobic 16 year old, suffering for nearly 10 years, just want to be home forever

Agoraphobic 16 year old, suffering for nearly 10 years, just want to be home forever

I just don't want to go out anymore, it's not worth it, I feel so much happier when I'm home. When I go out I feel sick and recently I've experienced a sense of numbness which feels horrible and I just feel compelled to escape when I have to go anywhere, especially school and exams, the types of situations where I have no choice but to go anyway and can't just run home.

Re: Agoraphobic 16 year old, suffering for nearly 10 years, just want to be home fore

Hi and

Have you told anyone about how you feel - like your parents and a doctor?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Agoraphobic 16 year old, suffering for nearly 10 years, just want to be home fore

I'm quite open about it and unfortunately a lot of friends aren't particularly supportive. My mum knows and we've been to the doctor and I'm being referred for counselling but I don't think I can face going out for it. I was also wondering if it's possible to do a levels from home?

Good news about the counselling then

To be honest I would concentrate on getting out and about again before you worry about doing a-levels from home.

Do you not go to school at the moment?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I finished in June, and from September until then I had such difficulty every morning I just felt so awful, none of it felt worth it.

Hi Libby, I had agoraphobia at your age and found it difficult with school etc but I found because I went to school everyday it gradually became easier, it also helped that I had a great form tutor who really understood, so if you feel that your form tutor may be someone you could talk to this is always a good option. You should also explore the options your school/6th form/college has as in counselling etc as I took this up in year 11 and 6th form and found it really helped while I was studying.

With regards to your exams, for some of my gcses and alevels I asked my head of year if I would be able to sit my exams in a seperate room alone or with only a few other people, as the thought of the big hall really made me anxious. My school let me do this and were so discreet about it, I guess I may have been lucky but you may feel this could help you? Or if you cannot sit in a completely different room to take your alevel exams, maybe you could ask to be sat on the front row as I also did this and didnt feel so trapped.

I dealt with anxiety all the way through my GCSE's and a-levels so if you want any advice feel free to private message me, I also came out with B,C,D in my a-levels so I suppose I didnt do too bad considering

Chin up and keep smiling, tomorrow is a new day!

Also as its summer at the moment, try to go out even if it is just for a walk down your road, I feel summer is sometimes the worst time for us as if I dont make plans I can end up staying in the house for days which makes me feel worse when I have plans a few days later

Going to school made it worse for me, every morning I'd feel sick and my stomach would hurt and I just felt like crying until it wore off, I dreaded every school morning.

i have suffered agoraphobia for 10 years it started when i was 15 :( i completley understand how you feel i didnt even get to finish school! get as much help as u can before it gets worse! im still battyling with agoraphobia and it runs my life at time! im 25 now and have a 4 year old child things are difficult but i manage with alot of support! good luck xxx

Yeah, I'm getting counselling and seeing a homeopath to help me feel better in myself because it plays a part in my anxiety. Thank you, I hope things get better for you! x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information