Thread: Having another shot

Having another shot

Hi everyone - just after some advice. I was prescribed sertraline back in March. I started on 25mg for the first few days, then went up to 50mg. Took the edge off, but nothing major. Went back to the doctor a month later and he upped me to 100mg. Started feeling alot better, but to my horror I started putting on weight (I've been small all my life) I know it was the drugs, as I hadn't changed my diet, exercise etc. I wasn't happy about the weight gain, so I started to wean myself off the drugs - I know, I know you're not supposed to do it without a doctors advice. Had no trouble going off them in terms of withdrawals etc (probably because I had only been on them 2-3mths)

Anyway my family told me I need to go back on them, that I was a much more stable and nicer person to be around when I was taking them. So I went to the doctors today and he's put me back on the 100mg. He said the only thing I could do was have smaller meals and exercise more. Obviously these tablets are slowing down my metabolism. I'm not a big eater as it is!!

Has anyone had experience with this or advice they can give me. I want to be a better person for my family and I don't want to put on alot of weight. I started googling and found that a common side effect of AD's is weight gain:(

Re: Having another shot

I have been n 50mg for 3 months and I have also put on weight, about 11lbs in that time. My diet hadn't changed, I'm am 5ft 9 and a size 12 but my weight has gone up rapidly. Have tried eating less (even though I didn't eat that much before) but my weight won't come off. I was at the lower end of my ideal weight after a diet last year and had maintained it but the second I started these meds my weight crept up. Am scared of putting more but my moods have been better on the tablets so not sure what to do.

Thread Information