Thread: Cold turkey - go back?

Cold turkey - go back?

Excuse my english, I'm swede

Ive been battling anxiety for ten years. Been on different SSRIs without much help. I couldnt take the sexual dysfunction aswell.

For about six months ago i was prescibed mirtazapin. The first couple of months on the drug was great; slept great, anxiety relief, improved appetite.

However the drug poped out. I begun at 15 mg, ending up at 60 mg. And when 60 mg poped out, i decieded to go cold turkey. That was two weeks ago.

Now Im in hell; insomnia, anxiety, no appetite, etc.

So, my humble question: Shall I begin with Mirta again, and slowly tapering it off. Or should I live through this hell, in hope it get better?

Btw it is impossible to get in contact with a psychatrist during this vacation period.

How would you du if you were in my shoes?

/peep

Re: Cold turkey - go back?

Hi,

My thoughts are if you have now gone 2 weeks since taking it and you do want to stay off this medication I would not re-start it...may be hard but if you go back on you are only going to come off again and even though you should of tapered off slowly, whats the point of starting all over again??

I have never been in this situation so not sure how long the withdrawal will last but in my oppinion (and I am not a GP or anything) I would try and ride the storm as it will settle down again.

Do you not have any diazepam to help you until it settles a little?

Hope this helps and really hope you feel better soon.

Jo.x

Yes, I really wanna come off this drug!

What makes me afraid is when i read at for instance paxilprogress
    that going CT could mean years until you are fully recovered. I guess i just
    have to hope it wont take that long for me...

My advice is to go and see a medical professional immediately because as you are finding coming off quite a high dose of a medication like this is causing you problems. Only a professional can tell you what is best now, whether to remain off them or to take them again and then reduce the dose. You say that it is a vacation period but surely you must be able to get some medical advice somewhere?

Thread Information