Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My dad died.

My dad died.

My dad died a week ago very suddenly from a heart attack, he was 66 years old, his funeral isn't until mid next week.
    The way I'm feeling is something I've never felt like before, if anyone has experienced the loss of a parent and can offer me any understanding of what this is like I'd be ever so grateful, because it is incredibly tough.

Re: My dad died.

Oh no hun. I am so very sorry to hear this.

My dad passed away about 4 years ago now. I'm afraid i wasn't as close to my dad as you were with yours but it did still feel odd. I think in a way, we think our parents will be there forever., especially when we believe them to be fit and well but then to loose them suddenly is such a shock and a tragic loss.

Best advice i can give is just to take one day at a time. You will have you difficult days and your not so difficult days but you are grieving hun and that takes some time before it begins to become a little easier.

My thoughts are with you
    Love Lisa
    xxx

bless your heart my mum died when i was 2 and i have felt a loss all my life without her , try to think of the good times you and your dad had i feel for you
    amandaxx

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm writing a eulogy for my dad to be read at his funeral and it is unbelievably hard.
    Dreading next Wednesday.
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
    My dad died a week ago very suddenly from a heart attack, he was 66 years old, his funeral isn't until mid next week.
    The way I'm feeling is something I've never felt like before, if anyone has experienced the loss of a parent and can offer me any understanding of what this is like I'd be ever so grateful, because it is incredibly tough.
    Hi Happycamper,

Firstly big hugs to you. I know that feeling you have My Mum died over 10 years ago and although I knew she was suffering through cancer I was sad and devestated when she died. It was also a great release for her. I always think of her and especially at the moment want to be able to talk to about my own problems. I still can remember some of her sayings and know what she would say to me. My Father died aged 89 last year suddenly and had survived his wife by 10 years. He was absolutley devestated by her death and quite lost without her. He died from a heart attack which neither myself or sister knew he had a heart condition. I was very sad as I had not seen or spoke to him for months as he never had a lot to say as he was very depressed.

I saw both parents after their deaths in morgues and although they were cold to touch and quiet I knew they were at peace, which helped me to deal with it. I have photos and a small garden memorial which help me to deal with my emotions. I am in fact looking at a large photo of my Mum and Dad on their wedding day. I have good memories of what they were like and I know they loved me and my sister dearly and we both love them also.

On the day of his funeral I am sure you will be very emotional and think that it will be all too much. At my Mums, we had saddness for our Mum but also for my Dad, at my Dads, there was sadness for Dad and for my sister and myself, but happiness as they would now be together. I said a few words at my Dads funeral, which I thought I would not be able to do but I found the strength to do it.

Sorry for a long post but hopefully this will help. Be strong.

my mum passed away just over 3 years ago i think she looks dowm on me with my nan and keeps me safe
    the pain with go say a prayer for her
    god bless

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Very sorry to hear your sad news Camper. My condolences and hugs.

Never Surrender, Comrade

really sorry to hear that x

Thank you again all.
    Johno, you mentioned seeing your parents after they had died. I am going to see my dad in the chapel on Monday, no idea what to expect, but as I hadn't seen dad since Easter, the reality hasn't hit me yet and I'm hoping going to see him will help it sink in a little more, although this numbness feeling is gradually subsiding.
    My mum is struggling with it all and supporting her is very hard also.
    After all this at least I'll be in a better position to support people going through the same thing, I guess.

Hi again,

When you go and see him try not to be scared and he may look like a wax works model. I kissed his head and said goodbye to him. My last memories of how he looked are not how he was when i saw him in the morgue but of all the photos I have of him.

Regards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information