Thread: High Cortisol in bloods, can this just be stress?

High Cortisol in bloods, can this just be stress?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm actually hoping I just have anxiety. I got sick after I had my first child 5 yrs ago and am on beta blockers now. I have these attacks which seem to coincide with my menstrual cycle, very similar to panic attacks and very horrible. I am constantly stressed out, have been for these past years. My doctor seems to believe that I have an adrenal tumor or something wrong with my pituitary gland.

I have an endocrinologist and recently my results were: Dopamine - Normal, Noreadrenalin - Normal. Adrenalin - normal but very low end of normal (range 0-200 normal, mine was 18) and Cortisol - Abnormal 847 (highest threshold of normal being 600). Which has got me very worried. I have looked up High Cortisol and it mentions Cushings which is related to Pituitary disorders. I also have a hormone imbalance of my female hormones and am estrogen dominant.

Thing is, it all began with a persistently elevated heart rate, high blood pressure, constant anxious state and severe weight loss. That was 5 yrs ago and I have also always been borderline (but still within normal) Hyperthyroid.

My question is - can Cortisol be high with chronic stress? On the day of my blood test I had already been in a hurry and was stressing over that, and also I had an argument with my partner, followed by my getting stressed over the state of the house. I then got there and I was anxious about the tests. So, could that have been the cause for such high cortisol or am I more likely to have a physical problem causing this very high cortisol.

I know that with Cushings you GAIN weight, especially aroudn your middle, you get stretch marks, a muscly kind of hump on your back etc, I don't have any of that, I'm thin as a rake, I do bloat after eating carbs and I do get dreadful palps also after carbs, but otherwise I don't have any of the typical physical hallmarks of Cushings.

What else could cause Cortisol to be high? That high especially.

Re: High Cortisol in bloods, can this just be stress?

High levels of Stress do make cortisol levels rise .My father has Cushings ,but it can also be down to a tumour on the Adrenal glands .Doesnt sound like you have Cushings but you will need further tests to rule it out .t/c &Gd luck Sue x

Suzy sue is right. Cortisol is known as the stress hormone and is released when we are under constant stress. Maybe you could ask your doctor about some practical steps you could take to reduce the stress in your life.
    I was tested for Pheochromacytoma (tumour on the adrenals) when I first had anxiety and panic 11 years ago. Its just basically collecting your urine for 2/3days and then it gets tested, nothing to worry about. It could be an option. Maybe ask your doctor next time you see them. x

Hi ladies, thanks for your replies. I had the 24hr urine tests done three times, on all occasions my noradrenalin, epinephrine and adrenalin were all normal. In fact my adrenalin was very low end of normal. I don't show the physical signs of cushings either. I've just been put on Progesterone only because I was estrogen dominant which made my symptoms very much worse. The progesterone only has been a great help - over the first week I've tried it I've been feeling (mood wise) a lot happier, as on the combined pill I developed depression and lots and lots crying. Since going on Cerazette my mood has been so much better. But I am still getting a lot of tension too.

I am awaiting a couple of other test results (blood glucose and growth hormone) as they're checking the pituitary too. I am very doubtful that its a tumor because two other ladies in my birth club (national forum) had the same as me, one is completely cured after taking a course of Agnus Castus which works on the pituitary to normalise hormones and encourage release of natural Progesterone.

I take agnus castus in tincure form with water and feel much better.
    I guess the only thing to do is wait on the other tests and try to be as calm as you can (easier said than done eh). Keep us posted x

Thread Information