Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holiday fear

holiday fear

hiya im going on holiday next thursday with my husband and little boy im so scared something will happen to me on holiday and i'll end up in turkey hospital alsojust changed my medication from citrolpram 40mg to sertine also petrified of the plane when i have a panic attack i run outside, no going to be able to do that lol. really dnt want to spoil my little boys holiday. please can some one give me some advice.

Hi lauraebowes

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: holiday fear

thanks nic im really happy ive found somewhere where you know your not alone x

hi hun i have to go on a course today a stupid drivers awarenes for my husband not the same i know but in a room full of strangers not good you just have to remember that by breathing one two three in through your nose out through your mouth and distraction for 3 minutes it will pass we have had these feelings before and although not pleasant it has never killed us by thinking that something is gonna happen our minds get our bodys ready to fight or flight which results in anxiety and then more panic just remember to breath and tell yourself its all in your mind once you are distracted it will go away briefly for you to cope x

atleast you get a holiday :( i hope you clear your mind and enjoy it tho have fun

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the site.

I understand & completely sympathize over the way you feel. I always worry I will panic or something dreadful will happen to me when I am away from home.
    The trouble is it's visualising yourself panicking that causes you to panic. You are imagining the worst case scenario.
    Try not to dread the flight but look forward to it, think of how relaxing a lovely holiday will be. Take a book with you to distract yourself on the plane & picture yourself lying on the beach sunbathing...

Hope you have a lovely time & try not to panic!

Emily xxx

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Hi Laura,

I felt exactly the same way as you do a couple of weeks ago just before a friend's hen do in Marbella! i really thought I'd have to pull out. I managed to get through it though and had a brilliant time and now feel quite proud that I got through it, and I'm sure you will be exactly the same! I had the exact same feelings about having to end up in hospital in Spain and about the plane as I'm terrified of flying, and get dizzy spells/panic attacks at the best of times!

I wish you a fab holiday xx

thank you all for your comments and advice its nice to know your not the only one that thinks like this its calmed me dwn just knwing im not going crazy thanks to all of you xx

Hi Lauraebowes,

I know what you are feeling I'm very nervous about my holiday. But try not to over think it...focus on all the positives and talk yourself down from all the negatives. Might sound silly but try some lavender oil on a hanky/tissue and when you get anxious/nervous breathe it in and think happy thought (maybe your son's face) it works for me...its worth a try..hope it works for you too.

Have a fab holiday.

Lisa

Hello! I hope you have a really nice holiday
    My advice would be to stop thinking about the 'what ifs' and just try and get through it (which is easier said than done). And if you end up not having a panic attack for even a few hours, tell yourself that it's an achievement and convince yourself you're not going to let it phase you.
    x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information