Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A review of Propranolol 80mg. Alcohol experience too!

Question A review of Propranolol 80mg. Alcohol experience too!

Hello there people

I take one Propranolol 80mg slow release capsule in a morning and have been doing for the past few weeks. I also take 30mg of Mirtazapine in the evenings to help me sleep and to alleviate the depressive disposition I sometimes find myself with.

A brief review

Firstly we have to bear in mind that everyone is different and although experiences will be similar, there are not set guidlines for text book reactions that fit everybody!

For the physical symptoms associated with anxiety, Propranolol has been a miracle drug. The slow release format means that I recieve a steady dose throughout the day and this has been wonderful in helping me control my panic attacks and anxiety.

For me, panic attacks were often triggered by a rush of feeling dizzy, which sparked off a full blown anxiety meltdown! With propranolol regulating the uptake of adrenaline I find that the 'rush' sensation just doesn't happen anymore which in turn, prevents the attack from ever happening.

My usual blood pressure is 110/80 or there abouts, with a resting heart rate somewhere between 65-80. I have been monitoring my blood pressure (as Propranolol is of course a drug primarily used in treating high blood pressure) and I can report that it has not dropped dangerously low at any point, with the lowest reading being 100/70, and no change in my resting heart rate.

The only downside (and to be honest I cannot 100% be sure it is in fact the Propranolol) is that I have trouble falling asleep. This may well be an interaction with the Mirtazapine. It isn't dreadful and as someone who had insomnia for nearly a year before taking Mirt, I can say it isn't too bad in comparison to the old days!

Yesterday I had my first taste of alcohol since starting the Propranolol. As the ex-manager of a bar this was quite something !

I had two large glasses of 12% rosé (by large we are talking 250ml, just over a third of a bottle in each glass). I did feel drowsier than usual and tipsier than I normally would after that amount. To be honest i am glad I was drinking at home with friends and family as I think the drowsiness would have perhaps panicked me had I have been in a public place.

So, thats all I can tell you about Propranolol for now. I hope this is of use to someone out there

Thanks for reading!

Abigail.

Re: A review of Propranolol 80mg. Alcohol experience too!

i was just about to ask about propranolol too

i also take 30mg of Mirtazapine an just been given propranolol 80mg slow release capsule...

but im worried about it slowing my heat rate too much..

I was nervous too, believe me! I can be a worrier when it comes to new meds, but this really has been a life saver. Combined with the mirtazapine I feel like a new woman. Be brave, you won't regret it! I have low-sh blood pressure and a heart rate that it relatively low. However as I understand it Propranolol does not slow the heart specifically, it just stopes it from going TOO high. I've not experienced anything untoward with Propranolol to cause concern at all.

Abigail.

awwww thanks for replying hun.....

i WILL be brave an start taking them...i've had them here two weeks already

i'm glad its working for you hun, hope they work for me too x

I can confirm Propranolol is causing my sleepless nights! I'm 99% sure as I have not had problems like this since I started taking Mirtazapine to help me sleep and there are no other new drugs I'm taking. This may just be me but I have read other posters complaining of the same thing.

An interesting post, thanks!

I can say pretty much 100% that for me there is no interaction between the same Propanolol that Babikins takes and alcohol, but we are all different

I took this medication some years ago and didn't have any noticable affects when drinking alcohol.

This time round the first time I had a drink I felt jittery but as the weeks have gone on I seem to not have any effects other than feeling a bit more drunk. I'm a cheaper date!

I have trouble sleeping too. I often wake 2/3 times during night. and find it difficult to get back off.

Also alcohol with propranolol is fine my doctor said it is normal to feel more sleepy when you drink alcohol with propranolol which to be fair isnt a bad thing as i usually get a decent nights sleep if i have a couple of pints.

Quote Originally Posted by Babikins View Post
    I was nervous too, believe me! I can be a worrier when it comes to new meds, but this really has been a life saver. Combined with the mirtazapine I feel like a new woman. Be brave, you won't regret it! I have low-sh blood pressure and a heart rate that it relatively low. However as I understand it Propranolol does not slow the heart specifically, it just stopes it from going TOO high. I've not experienced anything untoward with Propranolol to cause concern at all.

Abigail.
    It does slow the heart down and side effects include sleep disturbance

When do you take it?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I was having issues getting off to sleep, so I started taking the propranolol (80 mg slow release)and mirtrizapine (45mg) both at night. I have the occasional night where I have trouble dozing off, but I have mostly found the sedative part of the mirtrapine overcomes it

I am interested about the alcohol, as I am going out christmas eve and would like a few drinks, is it safe? I dont want it to slow my heartrate down if I drink on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information