Thread: Starting a new job feel a bit scared

Red face Starting a new job feel a bit scared

I got an interview today for a job at first they wanted me starting today but now it's tomorrow and it's all come about quick. Feel quite scared about how I can handle and cope with the anxiety. I'm not totally sure on hours yet maybe through the day maybe long shifts to start with.

It's the same kind of work I've been doing...been out of work 5 months though so there's a bit of anxiety about going back to work again. I don't feel I coped too well in my last job as the hours were not many maybe it never really helped me. In the past work helped me but the past year I've had alot of anxiety stopping me leaving the house.

But I never slept an hour last night before the interview. Today my stomach feels knotted, my bowels have been playing up can't stop going hope it doesn't happen at this new job. I just feel nervous, scared, worried, concerned if I will like the job. I know people say I will be fine but I don't really believe it these days I suffer alot of anticipation anxiety the feeling is always terrible before the event. It's in another near by town I've not worked in before so that's a worry, my last job was another near by town first time working in that one as jobs are few and far between. I am slightly excited to be starting a new job but not too much with anxiety.

So I think I'm worrying a little more than usual in the past I'd worry but not as much. Anything works me up at the moment. So I'm not sure what to think I feel these feelings are like just me feeling it run down and scared and tired. Maybe anxiety gets worse over time as you know what life stressed are out there? Not working/starting new jobs are both quite stressful. I guess I don't want to be out of work forever been getting a little bored of it now.

Re: Starting a new job feel a bit scared

Its easier to comment as an outsider. But try and breakdown your thoughts of anxiety one by one and reassure yourself for each.

For me in a situation like that my fear is of how I'm going to feel ie. Will I feel really sick. Or dizzy or will I have a panic attack when I'm in the new situation.

I would then tell myself. When I'm there. I probably won't have the time to panic. Youl be speaking to new colleagues who don't know you and will think your absolutely fine as everyones nervous first day so even if you show any signs I'm sure they will be very accomadating.

Youl have plenty to take your mind of things

And also. Having something to do everyday will make your anxiety reduce as opposed to spending more time alone with your thoughts

I'm sure youl be fine!!

Hi Phil

Congratulations on getting the job!

I agree with Jonny's comments above. You'll be so busy when you get there, you won't have time to be anxious! You say your anticipatory anxiety is bad and you've been out of work for a few months, so you're bound to feel stressed. Take it a day at a time and you'll soon get through it. Like Jonny says everyone is nervous on their first day anyway.

Tyke

Hi Phil

Congratulations on your new job

Your anxiety about starting a new job is extremely normal, and usually the thoughts are much worse than actually doing it! (If that makes sense).

I am sure you'll be absolutely fine and you have so much courage, well done

Let us know how you get on and good luck

Love
    Els
    xxx

Well done on the new job Phil. What is it doing?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Good luck Phil, I hope it is going all right. You have to try to make yourself get though this - the longer you are away from work, the harder it will be to go back. I get a lot of anticipatory anxiety and I know how hard it is to control but the real event is almost never as bad.

Try to stay strong, try to remember to breathe properly, try Rescue Remedy if you haven't already. Consider using Imodium if you have bowel probs - I'd to resort to that at the weekend when I was starting in a new workplace. It means there's one thing you can cross off your list of worries.

Really hope this works out for you xx

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Thanks I managed today anyway bowels were fine but when I got home it's been bad..must be nerves/anxiety as I have all this free time?

The job is retail just what I was doing before..I don't feel I've been away from work that long well 5 months I feel I did quite well to find a job as there really is very few jobs compared to when the recession started a few years ago.

I'm trying to take it one day at a time in my head..got some shifts this week so taking each one as it comes.

Am a newby and would just like to say how amazing you have done! I suffer from anxiety and especially anticipatory anxiety before an event.
    You should be very proud of yourself

Thread Information