Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just been prescribed Mirtazapine

Just been prescribed Mirtazapine + my diary

Hi, i have just been prescribed Mirtazapine by my GP.

I had to get him to come out to me as i'm feeling almost suicidal.. I've been on Duloxetine (Cymbalta) now for a week but the side effects and the way it has affected my mental state are just too much to bear.

I tried to stick with it but i really feel i'm going mad!

I'm due to take my first Mirtazapine tomorrow night, the doc reckons i can start tomorrow even though i have taken a Duloxetine today.
    Anyone else changed from an snri/ssri to this drug straight away?

I'm paranoid now about side effects, and about feeling worse before i feel better - i really couldnt cope with feeling any lower than i do now, i'm already at my lowest ebb - it wouldnt take much more......

Thanks for reading, Nick
    Last edited by brit; 29-07-11 at 11:16.

Re: Just been prescribed Mirtazapine

Nick my experience was going from Citalopram to Mirtazapine so slightly different, but let me tell you that Mirtazapine has saved my life, it is by far and away the best medication I've taken for this. It is also regarded as having some of the fewest side effects of the major medications. Obviously switching from one to another may leave you feeling a little rough I won't lie to you, but you are switching to one which is well regarded as being effective and tolerable. In the short term all you can do is take it one day at a time and focus on the fact that any side effects - and you may not even get any, some people report an immediate relief - will subside quickly.

Thanks Ingenious, that is reassuring.

Well, i took my first one last night and within 30 minutes i was ready to sleep -when they kick in they kick in hard dont they!!

Last night was the first night in a long time that i have slept properly without waking up, i didnt get out of bed until 10:00 this morning.
    Have to say though that i am feeling very very groggy but i have read that this normally doesent last long...

I am going to update this thread every day, both as a way for me to look back and keep an eye on my progress and also so other people can get another viewpoint of Mirtazapine. I have read lots of threads on here about this drug and they are both interesting and helpful.

Thanks for reading, Nick

Good to hear you've switched now Nick. Yes the first tablet does knock you out! You should find tonight you'll be able to stay awake a little longer, and as the days go on that side effect does seem to wear off quite quickly. Looking forward to reading your daily account of this. I keep a mood diary so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

One thing that is annoying me though is that my feet and legs are very restless, especially at night. Last night it kept me awake for a bit, i hope this isnt going to be an ongoing thing....

So far today i'm not really sure how my mood is really - i think i'm a bit too fuzzy headed for that.

I havent had a coffee for over 2 months due to the panic attacks but im really tempted to have one now to try to 'wake up'!

Hi Nick

Welcome to the mirtazipine club!!! All sounds perfectly normal what you are experiencing. A few of us on here take mirtazipine so you will get support. I had the restless leg thing and still do sometimes, I find when I have my feet up in the evening and am watching tv or something I have to keep moving them about...wierd!!

I am currently taking 7.5mg (previously up to 30mg) and still fall asleep half an hour after taking the meds.

I too changed from citalopram to mirtazipine so would also have a different experience to you but can honestly say mirtazipine is the best AD I have taken with results to the side effects.

I wish you well with them....keep us posted.

Jo.x

Well, i took my second one last night.

It kicked in quickly again, but i dont think it was as 'harsh' as the first one was. Maybe its just because i knew what to expect though?

I had a very very vivid dream whilst asleep, quite enjoyed it to be honest!

Woke up at 9:00 this morning, and today i'm feeling very groggy/fuzzy again. Try as i might i cannot shake it - i have been doing things around the house in an effort to 'wake up' but its no good, i keep finding myself sat down on the sofa again. I can only hope it wears off after a few days.

Mood wise, i'm not too bad, although i think the fuzziness is giving me a sedated effect.

I dont feel able to go out the house yet, although as the day progresses i may well try.

Yesterday i noticed that by the evening the grogginess was starting to clear - problem is it was time to take another one by then!

I think i'm starting to get another side effect that i have heard about... The munchies!
    I cant stop picking at food, luckily my wife keeps us well stocked on fruit so its not too bad.

Thanks for reading, i will post back tomorrow.
    Nick

Hi Nick

It was a couple of weeks before I was able to leave the house...but then I did have withdrawal from citalopram along with the side effects of mirtazipine and tbh the withdrawal was pretty horendous as I had to go from 40mg-0mg in 1 week so I guess it was all pretty inevitable!!!

I think that you will find the side effects wearing off after a few days.

I too was one with the munchies...the evenings were the worst I just seemed to be wanting to eat anything and everything...this too does wear off though but does take a while longer...some people are given mirtazipine to help increase their appetite so I guess its expected too!!!

Anyhow you sound to be doing o.k thats the main thing.

Jo.x

Hi, just a quick update.
    Took my 3rd one last night, and promptly fell asleep after about 20 minutes.
    I slept well, had another vivid dream - was neither good nor bad but i seemed to enjoy it all the same.

Woke up at 9:00 this morning, feeling groggy/fuzzy.

But i have managed to go out into the garden and mow the lawn! I am still very 'hungover' but not quite as bad as yesterday i think.

Its difficult to be 100% sure but i think that its wearing off a little quicker each day.

Yesterday i was feeling more normal by about 4:00 in the afternoon, the day before that it was more like 9:00 in the evening.

Mood wise im not too bad i think (sounds silly but its kind of hard to tell whilst feeling 'hungover')

I am going to update this thread later on tonight, thanks for reading.
    Nick

Took pill number 4 last night.

Fell asleep as quickly as before, but had a bit of an unsettled night.
    Feeling a bit unwell today, but its very hot and humid so i'm putting it down to that.

I managed to take my dogs for a short walk today, the anxiety was building up strongly but i managed it.

Thats it for today, thanks for reading.
    Nick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information