Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mindfulness

mindfulness

My cbt told me to do some mindfulness practice and that i can find it on the internet - i found this information as follows;

http:www.panicattacks.com.au/mindful/mind.html

HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE MINDFULNESS ?

mirryx

Hi Mirry, I've not heard of it but I will certainly have a closer look at that link later..

Julia x

'To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world'.

further reading on mindfulness

http://www.mbsr.co.uk/mindfulness.html

It gives information on a 3 year trial on panic/anxiety suffers using mindfulness and how effective it is.
    From what ive read so far Im hooked
    I really want to find cds to practise it, mindfulness is about living in the moment not thinking over the past or letting the past contaminate the future.

mirryx

my therapist taught me about her version of mindfulness where i had to just let my thoughts come and go without judgement or reaction.

the aim was to detatch your emotional reaction to negative thoughts - much like letting a panic attack float by accepting but not further reacting to the sensations

i now get thoughts or memories that would have once spiralled anxiety that now are just a thought that comes and goes -

similar to the idea that its not the life event that is important but our reaction to it - a thought itself needn't be significant but just learn not to react to it if it is negative

good luck jos

jos,

I actually managed to work thru a panic attack using this technique yesturday. I used the Mindfulness tequnique where you dont think of the past or future, u just focus on the present moment - on your breath in and out, the idea is you need to practise 5 mins in the morning then 5 mins in the evening meditating.

Did you meditate ?

mirryx

Could this work for health anxiety?

Mirry
    no i don't meditate - but i do get into a mellow grove when cycling or swimming - just letting my thoughts roam around without passing judgement or paying too much notice - i always used to chill out like that so its good to find it again - another form of mindfullness where the rhythm of the exercise allows you to relax mentally

I had a lot of health anxiety and this works well for this - learning not to react to the thoughts

jos

Daisy I think it could work for health anxiety as it could for any anxiety.

Sunday i had to walk to my local cash point and as soon as i left the house I found my self thinking this........
    " I remember walking up here with my daughter after having a major panic attack in the chemist" (my thinking was leading me into anxiety)
    so then i told myself this,,,,,

I dont think about the past or the future, just think about this moment as i breath in - this is a moment - I am breathing out - this is a moment.

Suddenly i felt really calm so carried on walking to the cash point.

Once i got my money i decided to walk thru the shopping precinct and in front of me was a very large lady with very tight trousers on and her underware showing through her trousers (ughh) so now i found myself thinking " how awful " Id hate to have my underware showing thru my trousers and then i started feeling concerned how i look.

so i stopped there and then and told myself not to judge others and just think for the moment, the past has gone the future is not here.

each breath is the moment and nothing else matters.

mirryx

Thank you for this thread! Two really useful links there - well done mirry I shall be looking at them both!!!

We can do this!!!!!

Fee xxxxxx
    www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
    Good and bad things WILL happen!

Hi Mirry,

very interesting stuff. I liked some of the analogies that were used.

Cheers for that.

Trev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information