Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propranolol & Difficulty Sleeping

Re: Propranolol & Difficulty Sleeping

I have taken propranolol in the past, was on it for over 5 years at various dosages, suually on 160mg LA. I also noticed disturbed sleep when I was taking them, although to be honest my sleep pattern has always been very erratic.

The probable reason for its effect on sleep is it lowers melatonin production, which as most folks know is the "sleep" hormone. My suggestion in the first instance would be to take L Tryptophan just before retiring, which is a naturally occuring amino acid that boosts serotonin product and in turn nocturnal melatonin production. From the literature I've read 1-2 grams is adequate to double night time secretion of melatonin which should in turn relieve some of your problems.

Good luck!

Re: Propranolol & Difficulty Sleeping

Very helpful post shropshire lad.

In answer to the original question, yes I find that Propranolol gives me trouble sleeping too, I seem to get fixated on a thought while I'm lying there and I can't drop off, so much so that I try not take them after about 1PM unless I know I'll be drinking, which seems to counterract the effect a little. I've had two or three nights where I've had no sleep at all.

To counterract it, I usualy just avoid taking them too late unless I'm really panicky, also I find that physical tiredness always overrides anything else so regular exercise helps a lot, if my body's tired enough then it doesn't matter what my mind's doing. Also I try to avoid stimulants like caffeine after about 2 PM. When I'm actually lying there trying to sleep, the key for me is thinking of something that lets my mind drift away, rather than concentrating on something. If I start thinking too hard about one thing I try to think of something else, in an effort to stop myself from getting fixated.
    Last edited by jmoid; 13-08-11 at 01:12.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information