Thread: A question for those not worried about breast issues

A question for those not worried about breast issues

How long do you take to do a breast exam and how often do you do it? I can take up to an hour by the time I have gone over every lump and bump about 10 times till I'm sure it is nothing to worry about. I also have to check every day in the shower which can take 15 minutes and thats what I consider a quick one. I also prod with my finger tips to feel for lumps but if i do it with my fingers flat as you are supposed to I don't feel so many lumps is that ok? This has taken over my life lately I need to get things into perspective so hope someone can help.
    Thanks for reading
    Aycie xx

Re: A question for those not worried about breast issues

Anyone?

I am not worried about cancer but I do not know how to tell if the lumps are normal or not, how do you know?
    I've never been able to do a complete breast exam on my self cause I always end up giving up and any lump I find annoys me as I don't know if I should get it checked out or not.

Thanks for replying, as I understand it if a lump moves about it is normal tissue it is the hard lumps that dont move that are potential problems. My obsession is that I am determined to find a lump and if I can't find anything I just assume I mustn't have looked hard enough. Really I should just be relieved and forget about it till next month but I just can't let it go.x

Hello .. you have been so kind to help me so hope I can help! As I said earlier I became really focussed on this earlier in year and usual examine for around 5 minutes or so - perhaps not long enough as not exactly sure what looking for. I did then find a lump but when checked out at breast clinic was fine - probably just grissle. I do know from endless googling that 9/10 lumps are benign. My understanding is also that it is only if it is differnet for you that it is worth checking out (though even then most likely nothing).

I don't think you need to check more than once a month as they simply could not pop up that quick - but I know I did each day for awhile. Best thing is to check on a Monday (never a Friday!) and once a month and try hard to forget about it in between - I know its so hard and obviously my toilet checking is out of hand so have so much sympathy for you!

This may not be an option for you but Bupa do a well women check which includes full breast exam and full info on how to actually check - this may give you great peace of mind - though I know testing for us with HA is not always good thing!

Sorry I know I have probably not helped at all .. but like me with my cancer fears it is most likely that we will never get it - we just need to learn to overcome the anxiety - and hopefully we will beat it!! xx

Hi
    I never check my breasts. I get lumpy bits sometimes and they are tender or achy sometimes. I don't stress about them at all.
    Mind you I don't have the time cos I am mostly having a stroke or a heart attack with the occasional brain tumour by way of light relief.

Thread Information