Thread: Blood in phelgm

Blood in phelgm

I've been coughing really badly the past few days, and I'm losing my voice too. Seen a doctor about 4 days ago who put me on some cough syrup, and some meds to stop the nasal congestion.
    The phelgm is always a lot more first thing in the morning. The last 2 days, when I cough out the first morning phelgm, I see streaks of blood in it. It's freaking me out.
    I've cough out phelgm with blood before in March this year, during another episode of bad cough and the doctor did an x-ray on my lungs. It turned out fine then.
    Now that it is happening again, it is really freaking me out. Does anyone get this too?

Re: Blood in phelgm

the ba coughing has just damaged some small blood vessels in the throat....... it really is nothing to worry about.

Yup ended up at the doctor yesterday for the exact thing. Have had it off and on for three weeks but felt I couldn't get enough air last night due to all of the congestion in my throat and chest.

They gave me a breathing treatment to help and sent me home with a script for an inhaler. Depends on where you are in the states but the air quality is really bad at the moment with all the heat and pollutants. Try some mucinex to loosen the phlegm and keep it moving, drink loads of fluids and stay out of the nasty heat.

Hey, like it has been said, it's probably just some burst blood vessels or tearing in your throat from so much coughing. If you've already seen the doctor I wouldn't worry about it, it's most likely that you just have a sore and sensitive throat.

Davinci, I've always been sensitive to dust and allergens in the air too. In fact, I've just bought an air purifier few days ago, I hope that helps.

Geoff,amieekid, thanks. The doc thought so too. Though I'm still seeing little specks of blood this morning, it's a lot lesser than yesterday. And my cough seems to be getting better too. Hopefully, by the time I stop coughing the bloody phelgm will stop too.

I've finally figured out what's been causing the blood in my phelgm. It was in fact from my nose. The bleeding was so slight that I didn't realise until I stuff a piece of tissue up my right nostril. It bleeds only at night when I am sleeping, I'm guessing it's the dry air from my air conditioner or the air pollutants.
    The blood must have backflow to my throat while I was sleeping and hence, my bloody morning phelgm.
    Anyway, my cough has stopped and I'm feeling much better now. I still have to do something about the nose bleed though. I'm hoping the air purifier works.

Thread Information