Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram, worth starting on 5mg a day?

Citalopram, worth starting on 5mg a day?

Morning all, just looking for some advice really. I've been staring at my 10 mg packet of Citalopram for a good week now just wondering what to do. I've read somewhere that some people have half a tablet to start off which aids with the side effects. Should I start on the 10mg as advised by Dr or should I go for it a bit more gradually and start with 5?
    Thanks,
    Lucy x

Re: Citalopram, worth starting on 5mg a day?

Lucy, I think not 10mg is a really low dose just try it you will probably not notice any difference for the first few days. Try half a tablet if it helps you to get started, any side effects you notice will be psychological as at 5mg the drug should have no effect on you at all. As you increase the dose side effects can be unpleasant, you need to try to ride them out as best you can knowing that this drug really can work in the longer term.

Good luck,

Mark

Thanks for that advice. Looks like i'll start on the 10 then and see how I go! Cheers

I strongly disagree with mohc. I was side effect wary too and my doctor encouraged me to start on 5mg, I got quite strong side effects just from this dose so it is simply not true to say that 5mg is too low a dose to have an effect on people!! I'm so glad I started on 5mg and not 10mg, I was on that for a week, the first day I felt quite rough and dizzy but each day got better.

We're all do different, some people can start on 30mg and not break into a sweat, others are much more sensitive. I would always suggest if you're worried about side effects you start on a lower dose.

You may get side effects at 5mg, and 10mg. The citalopram wont have a therapeutic affect until 20mg, so you wont start to feel "better" until at least that dose.

If the side affects are too bad on 10mg then check with doctor before going down to 5mg.

You're fine to take 5mg -I took even less when I began! I was so nervous and the doctor encouraged me just to take whatever I could bring myself to take just to show myself that I'm ok, and get some confidence! So you'd be fine starting with 5mg, it just takes a bit longer to get going is all. 10mg is a low dose, but if you're wary of side effects then go with less.
    All the best!

Hannah

Conflicting answers here which is not helpful. It is a hard decision to start taking AD's and a bit frightening especially when you are suffering from anxiety. I started on 10mg for 2 weeks then upped to 20mg. The 10mg tablet is really there to help you start as it has no thereputic effect. I had quite strong side effects especially when I tried taking 30mg and 40mg. My doctor told me that the stronger the side effects the more likely the drug is going to work. So try to accept that it could be a rough ride for the first 2 months while you find the right dose for you. In 3-4 months you will feel a lot better.
    good luck,
    Mark

Oh it's okay, i just appreciate the feedback. I still haven't started them. I had a few fairly good days so I decided to see if I could refrain, although i'm still thinking about how I feel all the time. My family are not keen on me starting so I guess that one of the main things putting me off. Depending on how tonight goes I may start in the morning. Thanks again all x

Lucyliz, I'm going to the Doc in the morning to speak with her about prescribing some Citalopram (which I've never taken before) to help me through a rough time. I've not taken any medication since the end of last year and I'm loathe to take anything but feel I now need something to keep my head above water, so to speak. I'll let you know how I get on. If you do decide to take them, and if I get prescribed them, perhaps we can discuss/support where appropriate.
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Yes that sounds great! Let me know how you get on x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information