Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: heart worries

heart worries

Hi, im really worried about my heart,its beating very fast and ive pain/tightness,this started last wed night so i went to AE,they did an ECG/bloods and chest xray all fine but they kept me in,i then had another ECG the next morning and another blood test,they also were fine,i had to have an ECG on the treadmill well the treadmill ECG was fine but my heartrate at rest was 116 going up to 140...i was told i probably wasnt going home but they then decided to sent me home,anyway my pain/tightness amd fast heart rate is still happening and im worried sick,i went back to AE this morning and again more bloods and a ECG,they were all fine,they say its anxiety!!!! im scared,can anyone relate to whats happening with me?

Re: heart worries

Be reassured that the ECG and blood tests would find anything wrong with your heart.

Do you exercise much at all?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nicola,no i dont exercise,only walking,i used to walk everywhere when my kids were in the pram,but now they are bigger i dont nearly half as much,i used to go to the gym but that stopped over 2 years ago as my son got ill and i didnt want to leave him.When i go to AE even if my symptoms have calmed down (as they have done but as soon as im out the door the fast beats,ect start again) would the tests/ecgs still pick up on a problem?

Yes they would pick up any heart problems.

The reason I mentioned exercise is that the fitter you are the lower your heart rate will be and maybe a bit of exercise will help in that way.

If there was a problem you would have the symptoms all the time if you think about it. It wouldn't come and go.

Whilst in hospital you are getting reassurance but as soon as you leave you worry again hence the chest pain and fast pulse again.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

i can relate sandy, i've only ever been to a&e once which was when i first suffered with anxiety and panic a year ago. on arrival my pulse and BP were sky high. you have to believe hun that this is your bodies natural reaction to stress, anxiety and panic. i promse you this. when i was in a&e they said to me that they could see i was panic stricken, but i myself hadnt realised, id just focused on my symptoms which had in turn wound me up even more, thus increase heart rate and BP. try and distract yourself from focusing on your heartrate. put some music on so you cant hear it.
    and ECG and blood test would without a shadow of a doubt picked up any heart problem, hoenstly. you must trust the doctors and nurses, they are brilliant at their jobs and if they are not concerned, you don't need to be. wish i could give you a big hug, i know how horrible it is. xxxxx

Ive been there too Sandy, I think a lot of us have really. Several admittance to A&E only to be told Im fine...so I skip off home feeling ok because the tests results are normal, then BANG it starts again...so tiring. You must first really TRUST that if anything was seriously wrong, you would have been kept in.
    Its horrible I know, I went through an episode about a year ago when every single waking moment was just as you described....I prayed for death, I really did, just wanted it to end. And it did end, I stopped paying it so much attention and maybe it got bored with me because every week I started feeling a little better. Ive got heart bangs now as I type this, every 10th beat or so, and I dont care. Sounds mad, but if you ignore it and try and just get on with your day, it almost knows its loosing its power over you. For the moment, know that your heart is a powerful muscle and its doing its job, its reacting to all that adrenaline ok....feels horrid but wont hurt you. Your heart can sustain beating about 250bpm for several hours....and yours is nowhere near that or they would have kept you in.

Do you have any lavender at home? Try some on your palms to help relax you. If you are feeling major anxiety, get a paper bag and re-breathe. A cold flannel on the back of the neck is helpful, and some people find snapping an elastic band on their wrists is good for keeping you "in the moment" and reducing panic. I hope this episode passes quickly for you. Sending hugs, Paula x
    Last edited by paula lynne; 31-07-11 at 18:55. Reason: sp

Thanks Nicola,Sarah and Paula,i want to believe its stress and anxiety even though i hate my Health Anxiety but its blooming scary when my hearts pumping away and i see it through my top....at rest its normally ok,my bp has been ok,while in hosp and oxygen was fine but the heart rate is worrying.I know i need to fitter as ive never been this lazy,now im scared to do anything incase its too much for my heart! x

I've been to a&e twice with heart issues... I'll have a palpitation, or missed beat then automatically tense up making me think it's heart related and bad news. Never found anything, even though my pulse goes crackers on times and I do get irregular pulse. I've been put on propanolol beta blocker which lessens the palps and fast pulse, might be worth a try? Wishing you all the best xx

ps when i had an echo a few years ago, just seeing my heart on screen made my pulse go up to 170 at rest (seriously) and still it was fine! xx

Hi Lucyliz,someone told me about propanolol none of the drs mentioned any meds to take,wonder if my gp would try it for me,probably not as,as soon as he sees me he thinks hers shes comes again,and tells me to relax and stop worrying...if only.x

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information