Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis

Re: Just been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis

Hi Nicola and Lolly.

Ulcerative Colitis cant be cured - like Crohns. It amazes me that the diseases are so similar in appearance/symptoms, yet the diet/lifestyle has to be so different.

In crohns its bad to smoke, yet in Colitis it actually has a calming effect on the bowel.

Nicola - I have a friend who has had Colitis for 21 years, and he is on medication which is used to treat leaukemia too!! I hear the treatments are constantly changing, and suppose this has to be a better outlook for us all, as they can treat each level of disease differently.

I am on salofalk enemas, (only 3 days so far), but remarkably after the first dose, my symptoms have gone.(touching all the reachable wood around me), No blood/mucus, first time in 10 weeks.

The stag do is going to reveal weather or not I can tolerate alcohol.

BTW my friend has been in remission for years too.

Yeah it is odd that the bowel reacts differently to the two different illnesses yet they are similar in some ways.

I am on Mercaptopurine Rich - maybe he is on that.

Sadly I lost a friend to rectal cancer 2 years ago and he had Crohn's since he was 18 so it does scare me and the stats are that I am twice as likely to die from bowel cancer than someone else and also that I am twice as likely to get Leukemia because of the drugs I am on - despite the fact they are used to treat it.

Coupled with the fact I have heart failure I do sometimes feel like I have 2 death sentences hanging over my head but people will tell you that I do not let this worry me and still remain positive.

We have to believe that in our lifetime they can "cure" these IBD's and we can live normal lives.

I hope I haven't depressed you too much but there aren't many people on here with similar illnesses so it is good to share things.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have got to say the meds I have been put on salofalk, have do far worked wonders. I have had no blood/mucus for over 5 days. And this was even after a stag weekend including cupious amounts of beer and fry ups. So for the time being I am very happy with the results.

Nicola - I know it can affect everyone differently but there will be people out there who have had crohns 40+ years, as with any illness/disease genetics play a certain part to everything but is not a life sentance.

I wish you all the best for the future, and btw this site you created helps so many different people, in so many different ways. I am quite an open person and not affraid to talk about problems/health issues or concerns. But this website has enabled me to talk to other people in similar circumstances and reach to a further audience where I couldnt possibly expect anyone I know to understand what I am going through.

So give yourself a pat on the back, and look forward to a long happy future, as you deserve it.

Thank You Rich.

Sometimes I get really down over things. The heart failure is more likely to kill me than the Crohn's and I have to not think about things sometimes or I get very down over it all.

Then the next minute I am positive and upbeat!

Anyway this post is not about me it is about you and U.C. and I am glad the drugs are helping you and things are looking good.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi sorry have just seen this and like you have only known what it was for deffinate 2 weeks, this is a good site so hope it can be posted, PM or email me if you want to chat.
    I too quit smoking 20 months ago.
    http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk/...rch.php?t=1368

Hi i have not been a member of this site for very long but i have Ulcerative Colitis. I have suffered from it for 5 years now, when i was diagnosed i had never heard of it either. There is a good site to look at that will help a lot it is http://www.nacc.org.uk/content/home.asp where there is lots of information or if you want to ask anything pm me and i will try to help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information