Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to take some effect please

How long to take some effect please

Hi,
    Started citralopan yesterday , I'm on 20mg per day. Has anyone had any improvements in anxiety/symptoms fairly quickly??
    Everyone seems to say weeks, and the way I'm feeling now I can't wait that long. I can't stand feeling like this. Just really low, panicky upset indecisive nonconfidence!! A shadow of my former self.

Male age 37

Thanks

Re: How long to take some effect please

It could be weeks I am afraid.

Have you read the Citalopram Survival Guide on here - it is a sticky in this forum.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Yorkman
    Yes it may take up to a month untill they start to take effect, in fact you may feel worse before you feel any better
    good luck and keep going

Hi
    it has taken a long time without you being aware probably to get you to this state Yorkman...............and it is going to be a while for you to recover .
    patience is needed here for the meds to help you ..and they will .x

you will feel better but it may feel worse for while while the meds kick in ..talk to us here and read on the forum others experiences ....so not alone

given the fact your work is making you so anxious ....I think you should ask for sick note for the first weeks to get you stabilised and less anxious.
    then you can make decisions about other job . You have lost confidence because of the damn anxiety ..not that you cannot do it .........keep the option open if you can ...........sounds good idea to me . take care xx

Thanks for replying, basically I have only been on them for 5 days now. I just want to know if you can feel them working eventually?? What to expect? Do they give you a lift etc, any advice is appreciated.
    How did they make u feel personally.

Just asking as a friend I know had Prozac and said they were a happy pill as they felt happy all the time.

In my experience Citalopram is not a happy pill, its a calming pill. Took me about 6 months and increased dosage to 40mg before I began to feel like I was heading in the right direction. Very pleased my husband nagged me into keeping going as now feel able to handle life. Am able to wake up and think, right what shall I get done today, rather than how can I survive another day. After a year I am now reducing my dosage. V important to get an understanding GP to talk to. Also if you can get some CBT and/or counselling, that helps along side the meds.
    Refering to your comment about feeling them work - its hard to feel them work, but those nearest to you will notice the difference. Also I used to get nightmares most nights, but now only a few per month. Keep a diary of how you feel, both physically and mentally which you can read back over time, to give yourself a boost as you hopefully see some improvements.

Good luck.

Wonder if I should have asked fir Prozac??

everyone is different yorkman, prozac has not worked for me and I am now changing onto cit.

Like everyone has said 5 days is nowhere near enough time to find out if they are going to work for you.

Have a look at the survival guide in the cit part of the forum as it gives you loads of info from the perspective of a sufferer.

Good luck

Elen

Thanks, guess I Am just trying to rush things! Hope I improve soon though, it's not good.

HI cit seems to be the one Gps favour for anxiety based illness .and is used for depression as well .

know how impatient you feel Yorkman ..........but to reiterate my previous post ...........this horrid feeling didnt happen over night ....it took a while for your body and mind to make you feel so bad . and it takes time to recover .
    and you will honest .
    time..... and hope your doc is seeing you again soon to see how you are doing . sometimes the meds need changing ......but it is too soon for that yet I think .
    take care x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information