Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Booked A Holiday, First Since Anxiety!

Booked A Holiday, First Since Anxiety!

Well, this time last year I was in the grip of anxiety. I had to cancel a cruise as I was not able to be away from home for more than an hour. I couldn't sleep right, lost weight, thought I had liver cancer (it was gallstones) and had to take time off work to recover.

I won't tell my get well story again but wanted to post that I have just booked a holiday in September, yipee! I'm so looking forward to it.

For those of you in the grip of anxiety, you can get well and be yourself again!

Re: Booked A Holiday, First Since Anxiety!

hello

so so pleased for you ......enjoy hugely Hazel .......cos you so deserve to .

so happy for you Hazel, have a fantastic holiday x

Well done Hazel, had a fab time.

Thanks Ladies! It's a huge step after being so poorly.

That is wonderful news Hazel. It is so great to have something to look forward to after a really rough patch isn't it?

I hope you have a fantastic time.

xxxxxx

Hi Hazel,

That's a massive step, well done!!!

Go on Hazel!!!! You can do it! xx

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Thank you both. I honestly did not imagine that I'd ever be "normal" again but you can come out of the black hole and carry on.

I'm wiser and kinder now too which is a good thing. I was a bit of a hard-faced old bag before!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel B View Post
    Well, this time last year I was in the grip of anxiety. I had to cancel a cruise as I was not able to be away from home for more than an hour. I couldn't sleep right, lost weight, thought I had liver cancer (it was gallstones) and had to take time off work to recover.

I won't tell my get well story again but wanted to post that I have just booked a holiday in September, yipee! I'm so looking forward to it.

For those of you in the grip of anxiety, you can get well and be yourself again!

Hazel, thanks for posting and giving us all hope. I'm in the grip of anxiety right now and off work. I can't really walk anywhere, preferring to take the car on very short journeys for an easy get away. Going into Tesco for shopping is a hit or miss. Some days I can do a quick one, some days I can't go near.

Can I ask what you attribute your recovery to? Did any medication help?
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Hi Mizfiesta. I've copied my tips on this for you from another post. You can ask me anything and PM me if you have private issues.

Here's what helped me and could help you:

• See your GP for help and advice, if they are not sympathetic talk to the practice manager and ask to see someone else.
    • Ask for medical tests if you do think you have a medical issue.
    • Take the medication prescribed for you, ask your GP and pharmacist about side-effects ect but remember, the drug companies are legally bound to print every side effect reported to them, it does not mean it will happen to you. I had Propranolol to break the adrenaline cycle.
    • Get counselling if you need help to talk it out/learn how to challenge negative and obsessive thoughts.
    • Learn to deep breathe from your tummy to help panic and calm your pulse.
    • Cut out nicotine and caffeine - the hardest thing I did for myself but the best for my long term health. I miss caffeine more than fags now!
    • Walk outside every day and try to see green fields, trees etc. Exercise regularly even if it kills you to do it.
    • Eat a well balanced diet and stay hydrated with water. Oats are said to be calming so I had porridge every day.
    • Use your support network, the people who love you unconditionally and those you trust, they can be there to listen, hold your hand, tell you how well you're doing and be there if you get scared or vulnerable.
    • Take time out of work if you need to, some people find work helps them stay busy, but for me I needed to have time off to get myself together.
    • Ignore or challenge negative thoughts, they will not kill you and once you learn this you can diminish their power over you.
    • Keep doing things that make you fell safe and distracted e.g. housework, reading, music, crafts etc.
    • Never stop believing that you WILL get better, even in your darkest moment grit your teeth and tell yourself it will pass. Your brain gets used to this positive affirmation.
    This all takes time but will start to help you get over anxiety. I thought I was indestructible until anxiety got hold of me, now I am stronger and wiser for it.
    Last edited by Hazel B; 05-08-11 at 19:22. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information